FTP large files (50MB) - corrupt zips, timeouts??

Community Forums/General Help/FTP large files (50MB) - corrupt zips, timeouts??

Matty(Posted 2011) [#1]
Good Morning,

Would someone be able to let me know - how do I upload a file of about 50MB in size to an ftp server reliably?

I've tried through windows explorer, through file zilla (also changing the timeout to 0 - meaning it shouldn't time out) yet each time my file gets to about 12-18MB through and it either disconnects or keeps indicating that it is still sending but when it finishes and I go to the website through my browser to download the file it gets to about 12-18MB and says it is completed, and when attempting to unzip it says the zip is corrupt (which is pretty obvious when the file size is 30MB short of what it should be....)

big10p(Posted 2011) [#2]
If you're trying to upload to a free FTP server, it's likely there's a file size limit. 50 MB may well exceed it. That would be my guess. What FTP server are you trying to upload to?

Matty(Posted 2011) [#3]
Hi - I'm trying to upload to my website which is a free hosting website..I've uploaded my other files to it, all less than 10 MB in most cases, and supposedly the total space i have is over a gig. Do you mean though that they may have a individual file size limit for transferring?

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#4]
Quite possible.

Does it always terminate at the same point?

Matty(Posted 2011) [#5]
Roughly a similar point - it seems to depend on the method I use for the transfer...if I upload using filezilla it gets to about 12MB through, if I use Windows explorer it gets to about 18.

Matty(Posted 2011) [#6]
It's quite bizarre actually - it looks like it uploads, the file size says 44MB in the ftp client but everytime I try and download it it is corrupt, last time I tried it only had 8MB when I downloaded it....

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#7]
You typically get what you pay for, with free hosting...

Matty(Posted 2011) [#8]
Thanks xlsior - I tend to agree with you...may have to try something else...

from Matt

Brucey(Posted 2011) [#9]
Use SFTP if you can. It's less prone to dropouts (in my meagre experience).

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2011) [#10]
Even paid hosts usually have limited upload sizes. I think that's a default setting. If the EULA doesn't mention a file size limit then call the admin and tell him to set a higher limit. On Free Hosts calling an admin maybe isn't an option. You can host your file on dedicated file hosting servers, such as mediafire.com , tho with lots of ads, some of them rather spamish, even malware probably, in the banners (I hate those fake "download now" banners on download pages, that are linked with shady servers etc.)

Matty(Posted 2011) [#11]
Thanks all, I used a different web space that I already had, (a paid one), and just deleted the stuff off it to make some room.

I don't see what's so difficult though about simply transferring some bytes from one pc to another...no dropouts/timeouts on my paid webspace but on the free one, corrupted zips, timeouts after 8Mb/12Mb/18Mb - will keep the free one for smaller files....

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#12]
50MB is nothing. If you are having problems uploading such a small file then there is either some arcane size limit or connection problems somewhere.
You could also try another FTP client :/