flv to dvd and similar converters

Community Forums/General Help/flv to dvd and similar converters

meemoe_uk(Posted 2011) [#1]
I'm trying to find a proper free one.
Capitalism and the web have merged to create something unholy. - Endless lists of trial versions of simple tools.
The conversion algorithms are public domain, but googling for such programs is near useless because of the ocean of these trial versions trying to get you to pay for what should be free stuff.

So, has anyone found a proper free version of flv to dvd?
Thx

Last edited 2011

ima747(Posted 2011) [#2]
I think hand break can handle Flv... It will do just about anything else so if you can get the Flv into something else it should be able t take it the rest of the way...

GfK(Posted 2011) [#3]
Third result in google ("flv to dvd free") contains a link to this with a quote "its not pretty, but it works".

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/SUPER

meemoe_uk(Posted 2011) [#4]
thx , I've dredged the ocean of trials for frees before, can take half a day. Just thought I'd try this forum as a short cut.

meemoe_uk(Posted 2011) [#5]
Gfk dude, SUPER avs you linked to is a trialware.
I've just spent 15mins setting it up.
Most trialwares pose as freewares.

The idea of this thread is for members to post links to programs they have _used_, that they know are real freeware.
Not to google and link something that _looks_ like freeware. That's the obvious trap I'm trying to avoid.
I thought 1st page of google for "flv to dvd free" was too good to be true.

Handbrake next. It doesn't come with codecs.

meemoe_uk(Posted 2011) [#6]
After quickly hitting the wall with handbrake when I fould it can only covert to MP4 and MPV, I read thru the online docs and forums. Which roundabout confirmed - No support for dvd. Handbrake's mission to to convert only to the best currrently available media format, so dvd doesn't get a look in.

So another fail.

Funny, sometimes it feels like the whole of the net is crawling for free vid convertors, yet no one has one, and no one has ever used one. They just post each other trial versions that they haven't checked out.

Hey! I've just remembered one that worked for me years ago. Virtualdub!
I wonder if I can get it working for the latest flv format.

ima747(Posted 2011) [#7]
Try handbreak to MP4 or MPV, then some DVD authoring software (I think even MS movie maker or whatever it's called at this point) should take you the rest of the way. I would be surprised to find a free solution that gives you a one stop shop from FLV (a web only format designed specifically for streaming) to a DVD compatible video (basically the opposite, focused on quality for static media distribution). Since the formats are so different, the source materials are not likely to have tons of overlap, and by extension less reason to go from one to the other, and again by extension fewer people will develop the tools to make it happen...

I'd go for 2 step. FLV -> something normal in the codec world. Regular video -> DVD ready iso or whatever your target is.

On a mac handbreak and iMovie should get you set, windows I would assume handbreak and movie whatsit. And that's assuming you don't have a smoother DVD authoring/converting app (nero might do the conversions at this point... I don't burn a lot of discs any more :0)

CGV(Posted 2011) [#8]
I use "Freecoder 4" to download the flv and to convert them to mpeg2 and then "Free DVD Creator" to convert the mpeg's to dvd format and burn them to disk.

The only issue I've run into is that Free DVD creator allows you to add a lot of files to the list for burning but actually fails if you try to convert and burn more than 4 movies per disk.

Free DVD Creator
FreeCoder 4

GfK(Posted 2011) [#9]
Gfk dude, SUPER avs you linked to is a trialware.
I've just spent 15mins setting it up.
WTF?!

http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

Quote from the developer site:
NO trial or evaluation version of SUPER © but one unique Free to download and Free to use fully working version.

meemoe_uk(Posted 2011) [#10]
Well after trying for most of the day and failing, I'm starting to make progress.
Virtualdub was no good, it didn't recognise flv.
Handbrake converts FLV to mp4 and MKV, but then it's a dead end, as I couldn't get any DVD burning tool to recognise MP4 or MKV.
Then I tried this tool called FormatFactory, which converts between most formats free, including from DVD, but not to DVD!
It get's round the trialware problem by advertising ( i.e. satisfying the capitalists ) within the program, but not on the video files it creates, so I'd recommend it.

Now I'm using CGVs recommendation of Free DVD creator ( thx CGV ). It's burning my files to DVD right now.
It didn't need any file conversion. It can read FLV.

I've now got loads of vid convert programs installed, and my videos in several different formats.
Bah, this is the messing about I was trying to avoid.

Considering it's taken me most of the day to get this far, I'm not convinced I'll make it past the finish post this attempt. When I test this DVD and I find no significant reduction in quality and no watermarks, then I'll be finished.

meemoe_uk(Posted 2011) [#11]

'fraid so GFK.
this is pic of AVS running
To activate AVS, you need to pay, otherwise it leaves watermarks I think ( can't remember now I've been trying different programs most of the day and finding watermarks or poor quality on my vids )

Last edited 2011

Last edited 2011

GfK(Posted 2011) [#12]
Um..... its called "SUPER" - not AVS. I think you've downloaded the wrong program. I.e. clicked on the ruddy great links that are everywhere for "AVS".

Instead, go here and follow the unnecessarily complicated download process.

When you get to the last step - don't click the link as it takes you to yet another page with AVS ads all over it. Instead, right-click, Save as.

[edit] Just download it to check, and yes, it is an entirely different program to what you just downloaded.

Last edited 2011

Perturbatio(Posted 2011) [#13]
ESET tells me that the SUPERsetup.exe contains a variant of Win32/OpenCandy ( http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Threat/Encyclopedia/Entry.aspx?name=Adware:Win32/OpenCandy ), not quite sure why I downloaded it, since I have no use for it, maybe I have Obsessive Downloader Disorder, ODD I believe it's also called.

Last edited 2011

Last edited 2011

meemoe_uk(Posted 2011) [#14]
Well that sounds true GFK, I was noob going into this, so I could easy make a dumb mistake.
I need a rest for the mo, so I won't use your link just yet.
Still trying CVG's link, Free DVD creator . Not as good as I'd hoped, it's abyssmally slow.

Gabriel(Posted 2011) [#15]
Still trying CVG's link, Free DVD creator . Not as good as I'd hoped, it's abyssmally slow.

Software encoding of DVDs is always slow. How slow is this?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2011) [#16]
Wanted to mention: got me a virus too when I converted FLV to other formats lately. It's an interesting target zone full of naive tube-victims (including me..).

meemoe_uk(Posted 2011) [#17]
>Software encoding of DVDs is always slow. How slow is this?
A little better than 1 sec per 1 sec.
I was comparing it with other vid to vid format converts which are much quicker.

OK! I've done it via free DVD creator.
Thanks for helping a noob out.

I'd like to think other noobs will find this thread useful. But from what I read, every noob attempt to convert vid files has different circumstances. For me, realplayer was already installed and made downloading net videos as flv files very easy.

if I hadn't fallen for the AVS trap, GFK's link might have got me there much sooner. I won't know, because I've had enough of meddling with new stuff. If it ain't broke...
Hope I've got lucky and not caught any virus what with all the installing I've been doing.

Now I can burn to DVD all my fave conspiracy documentarys, e.g. zeitgeist, 911 architecture of destruction, the science and politics of cancer, AIDs is a hoax, CIA cocaine smuggling, and send them to my grandparents, who have been firm mass media believers all there lives.
These DVDs will really rock their socks off! Awesome. I assume everyone else here has already done the same, right?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2011) [#18]
"AIDs is a hoax"

The actual challenge in conspiracy theories is to seperate the desinformation from the information. Better skip that aids hoax theory IMHO, visit some people who are dieing due to aids. Other than that, there is indeed a lot of BS going on and I guess your DVD will be just fine.

Gabriel(Posted 2011) [#19]
I was comparing it with other vid to vid format converts which are much quicker.

Yep, MPEG2 is typically a lot slower than most of the commonly used formats. I think simply because the best MPEG2 encoders are not freely available, but perhaps someone who knows more can clarify.

Awesome. I assume everyone else here has already done the same, right?

I have, but your grandparents don't know me, so they might not have watched them! :)

GfK(Posted 2011) [#20]
Better skip that aids hoax theory IMHO, visit some people who are dieing due to aids
AIDS doesn't kill, it destroys your immune system, causing what are normally less sinister things to become potentially fatal.

Anyway, this is getting WAY off-thread.

Zethrax(Posted 2011) [#21]
If you're worried about viruses with the video converter, then one option would be to run it in a sandbox environment such as Sandboxie ( http://sandboxie.com/ ).

lo-tekk(Posted 2011) [#22]
I was just recently using http://www.xmedia-recode.de/download/XMediaRecode2304_setup.exe and DVD Flick http://www.dvdflick.net/ for the task specified in the first post. Both are free, the latter one is even open source. Convert to some avi container with XMediaRecode and just author and burn it with DVDFlick. It's just a matter of a few clicks.

CGV(Posted 2011) [#23]
Thanks lo-tekk, DVD Flick is much better than the Free DVD Creator I recommended.

I haven't done a speed comparison but the interface is magnitudes superior and it doesn't suffer from the 4 title limit.

I didn't need XMediaRecode, DVD Flick recognized the flv files and converted them itself.