AVG concerns... again

Community Forums/General Help/AVG concerns... again

big10p(Posted 2011) [#1]
I'm running the latest free version of AVG on my Windows 7 laptop. Whilst browsing around in Resource Monitor, AVG seems to be using a pretty big hunk of resources. It has 9 processes running! It's responsible for using getting on for half of mem in use. While idle, disk access is constant and this seems to be 100% down to AVG, as well!

Is this pretty much to be expected from all anti virus software or should I be looking for a replacement?

I'm even thinking about taking a look at Microsoft Security Essentials. Is this any good, yet?

Gabriel(Posted 2011) [#2]
Are you sure it's not running a background scan or something? AVG isn't doing anything to my hard drive as far as I can tell and it's using about 15MB of ram according to Task Manager.

Amon(Posted 2011) [#3]
If it's a fresh install of 7 then the heavy disk access is probably Windows Indexing service brutalising your hd to make searching for files faster.

Other than that I have no problems with AVG Internet security Home edition and business edition 2011 for my server.

Matthew Smith(Posted 2011) [#4]
Yeap - try Microsoft Security Essentials. Very low system resources and apparently gets a very good security score. Been using it since the beta.

Last edited 2011

MCP(Posted 2011) [#5]
Ditch AVG big10p it's crap (or at least the free version is). Both my friend and I installed this on our PC's thinking it would save us some cash and we both found AVG to be unstable, resource hungry (as you yourself have noticed) and lastly but more crucially AVG failed to detect and elimate some quite common threats that all the other virus checkers I've tested where picking up. Avoid.

Wiebo(Posted 2011) [#6]
Do what Matthew wrote, it's true!

GfK(Posted 2011) [#7]
Care to suggest an alternative?

big10p(Posted 2011) [#8]
Are you sure it's not running a background scan or something?
Not to my knowledge. I have sheduled scans turned off. The main culprit seems to be the avgchva process (AVG Cache Server). Apparently, this is responsible for cahing files in order to make full system scans quicker. It can actually be turned off in AVG (Tools->Advanced settings->Cache Server) although, ironically, it warns that doing so might decrease system performance.

AVG isn't doing anything to my hard drive as far as I can tell and it's using about 15MB of ram according to Task Manager.
To be fair, things calmed down after posting - the constant disk accessing ceased. Task Manager doesn't seem to show all the AVG processes. It's not until you take a peek with Resource Monitor you see them all, although most seem pretty dormant.

I'll be keeping a close eye on AVG but am still tempted to try something new.

Care to suggest an alternative?
If MSE scares you off, maybe this:
http://download.cnet.com/Panda-Cloud-Antivirus-Free-Edition/3000-2239_4-10914099.html
It seems to be picking up some good reviews.

Last edited 2011

GfK(Posted 2011) [#9]
I quite like MSE... but whenever I used it in the past, accessing other networked PCs slows to a crawl and I never figured out why.

big10p(Posted 2011) [#10]
I quite like MSE... but whenever I used it in the past, accessing other networked PCs slows to a crawl and I never figured out why.
Have you tried MSE v2? You may also have to manually exclude the network drives/folders in MSE, from what I've been reading.