I need to help a computer nitwit with Norton

Community Forums/General Help/I need to help a computer nitwit with Norton

Tricky(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hi there;

I am the main programmer of a system that is used in the volunteer negotiation central in a town close to me. One of the tools the workers there have to use is a util I coded specifically for them in BlitzMax. This util works perfectly, so that's not the problem.

Fact is my util uses the internet and since it's a util that is not known by the Norton Firewall (due to the small group of people that has to use it I'd be surprised if it was), it gets blocked out. It's only one employee who has this and only when he works overtime at home this is a problem, but still.

Now I don't have Norton myself (due to my experiences with Norton I feel safer throwing a bucket of water over my computer than installing ANY Norton product on it), and the employee in case is a total nitwit when it comes to computers. I cannot visit him at his home to help him out. I know that Norton should have a feature that only lets my util through and keep blocking the rest out, but since I don't have Norton myself I don't know where that feature is and how to activate it.

Does somebody have Norton and if so, can you tell me where exactly those features are so I can help him solve this problem?

Just point me which actions this guy has to take. Remember I need to tell him without the ability to sort things out myself and this guy will most likely not understand when I only say "let this program through".... (If it were that easy the problem would already be solved).

okee(Posted 2011) [#2]
I don't use Norton myself but come across it from time to time
You'd need to know what version of Norton he's using,
They change their interface quiet a bit.
I think your best bet is to talk the guy through installing
logmein free
https://secure.logmein.com/US/products/free/
Then login to his computer remotely and do it yourself

Tricky(Posted 2011) [#3]
Yeah, sounds cool, but this guy is pretty paranoid, so I don't think this guy will let me admin his computer from a distance. But ok, I'll at least will try to get a version number from him. Maybe that can help a little.

okee(Posted 2011) [#4]
When you're finished fixing his computer, disable logmein
from starting when windows boots, it's the safest option
and then if you need to login again he has to load logmein
for you to login
If you do go that route make sure he activates it from the logmein
email otherwise it'll only be a 30 day demo.

Tricky(Posted 2011) [#5]
Well, I can look into that (if he lets me).
Thanks anyway

col(Posted 2011) [#6]
Hiya.
This would depend on which Norton version he's using, there must be about 12 versions by now !!

Anyway... Would he understand...

In Nortons main window there will be a settings button or link ( a text link ).
In the Settings window there should be either a button or link for the Firewall settings.
In the Firewall settings window there will be a button or link 'Program Rules'.
Clicking that will bring up all the programs on the PC that Norton allows/disallows access in/out of the internet.
If your program has been stopped by Norton already then it will be in the list. Otherwise he can Add the program manually and set its access options.
There will be buttons in that window to Add/Remove/Modify programs access settings.
These access options are the 'Internet access' options - either Allow,Deny,Auto or Custom. Setting your Blitz Util to Allow will set Norton to allow it full access to the Internet. 'Remove' will only remove the access rules inside Norton, not remove the software, just in case he worries about that, and 'Custom' will allow you to select which ports the program is allowed to use. 'Deny' is ... well, i'll leave you to guess ;-)
I imagine your Util is set to 'Deny' or 'Auto'

Again this is just a general rule of thumb as far as Norton products go. They tend to follow the same pattern of windows/procedures/buttons, so it may not be the exact procedure or exact button wording etc.

Hope this helps.

Last edited 2011

Tricky(Posted 2011) [#7]
Well, at least I have the picture, but it's always hard to explain a program I've never seen myself. It must be about 15 years at least since I last used a Norton product, so I hope you understand I don't know today's version at all. I also suspect that the version he has in in Dutch, and since the translators of those programs often do a HORRIBLE job (which one of the reasons why I always set my software to English, even though it's not my native language) I really hope I can get your explanation working in that version.

But most of all your story is written in a way that may help me explaining things to him. Another problem is that I never met the guy in person, I only heard to complaint through my employer with the request for me to solve it, so here I am. But I'll meet him soon as there will be a briefing shortly about my activities and how the other employees have to work with the stuff I make for them (oh, do I feel important), so I can pick up your story and take it with me in the briefing.

Thanks a lot for your time, Dave

col(Posted 2011) [#8]
You're welcome Tric,
Can you keep us posted if/when you get this resolved or need more help?

All the best

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#9]
It must be about 15 years at least since I last used a Norton product, so I hope you understand I don't know today's version at all.

Trust me, you don't miss much.

My theory behind their anti-virus product is that it works simply by making the virus feel so dirty and ashamed of sharing a computer with Norton installed, that they'll uninstall themselves.

Tricky(Posted 2011) [#10]
My theory behind their anti-virus product is that it works simply by making the virus feel so dirty and ashamed of sharing a computer with Norton installed, that they'll uninstall themselves.

Wow, that's one of the computer theories that makes the most sense I've ever heard :)

Can you keep us posted if/when you get this resolved or need more help?

Sure, no problem. The briefing is in the last week of march though, but that gives me time to try to prepare a few things.

*(Posted 2011) [#11]
Simple tell him to uninstall norton and install comodo Internet security FREE version, last time I used norton internet security it killed my connection (well it was secure I couldnt use the internet ROFL)

Ross C(Posted 2011) [#12]
Indeed, Norton seems to use up so much system resources, the virus doesn't get any to do it's business.

col(Posted 2011) [#13]
yep, they do need a powerful system foe them to run unnoticed - as if that could happen.
The one i use at the moment is Norton360. Its quite small and lightweight on my systems.
I haven't had any virus's ( virii ? ) for a long time now. When it does find one it kills/cures it faultlessly.
Stay away from the adult sites and always check files before opening them is the basics to keep virus away.

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#14]
Unfortunately, that isn't always enough -- many of the virusses use 'respectable' websites too, thanks to the 3rd party advertising networks.

Over the past few years a couple of windows flaws allowed some nastyness to install itself through the displaying of a banner ad. (e.g. an archaic printer preview image renamed to .jpeg would show as a normal image on a windows machine, but actually contained executable portions that were happily run on vulnerable windows machines)

so even if you stick to major websites like msn.com and cnn.com, you can still get hammered.