Instant Message Clean-Up Function

Community Forums/General Help/Instant Message Clean-Up Function

ThePict(Posted 2011) [#1]
I am adding an Instant Messenger (IM) facility to my game, so players can interact live(ish).
I am worried though about abuse/bullying/foul language and all the rest of this vast can of worms. I have a basic idea for cleaning up messages before posting, using Instr(badword$,IM$) then replacing badword$ with a suitably asterisked out alternative.
Has anyone written anything along these lines before with Blitz?
I am dreading the compilation of the long long list of badwords, so much so that I'm nearly put off the whole idea of IM an any shape or form.

Perturbatio(Posted 2011) [#2]
Which Blitz? (not that I have, but it would be useful for people to know).

I can't imagine it would be hard to write this, an array of strings iterated through and replaced.

If you're concerned about the bad words, how about you don't even let them send the message until they remove the words.

For a list of bad words, I'm sure you could find a list quite easily (a google search for "Profanity Filter Word List" gave me results).

ThePict(Posted 2011) [#3]
Yep, Ok. Did a search and found loads of good stuff to work on.

I own BlitzMax and still play around with a full version of B2D I've had for years, as well as the demo of B3D which limits to 16K source code, kind of nostalgic as I learned to code on 16K Sinclair machines.

My game uses php code too and I found a free php add-on filter that looks nice and saves me the bother of having a huge list of profanity on my family computer.
Plus, I publish most or all of my finished functions to Blitzbasic.com community, and really wasn't sure what the community and webmasters would think of a bit of raw code containing such filth.

Perturbatio(Posted 2011) [#4]
wasn't sure what the community and webmasters would think of a bit of raw code containing such filth.

That would be a bit of a grey area, it wouldn't have worked out so well if the profanity filter for the forum was still enabled (it didn't work out so well since it caught harmless things quite a lot (i.e. matsushita, scunthorpe, isHit and many many more) ).

Ginger Tea(Posted 2011) [#5]
I love how yahoo commentors couldn't talk about Hillary Swank without her becoming Hillary [profane] and the late 90's blanket ban on scunthorpe, iir no one could register with an ISP at the time due to this filter

Gabriel(Posted 2011) [#6]
To be fair, Scunthorpe *should* be banned. :P