..search engine confusion..

Community Forums/General Help/..search engine confusion..

Naughty Alien(Posted 2011) [#1]
..well..simple..I wanted to give a go to Bing, so i selected it on my web browser(FF) as default search engine..didnt liked it, and set back google on the same way i use to set Bing previously..after that I cant access google search engine site or get any single result from google search engine..simply, blank page or 'connection reset' error...what the heck just happen??

EDIT:
..i have tested google on my laptop now and it works (using same wireless connection)...i haven't try to swap search engines on laptop, its both W7 64-bit systems..

Last edited 2011

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2011) [#2]
Why do you use a browsers default search engine at all. You better put google.com to your top level favorites. I would suggest not to use FF at all. With every update all settings are reset to factory state, including some whitelisted URLs for automatic addon install. If you by accident surf a shady website with that setting, it my dns-spoof your FF and send you some "nice addons" that you hardly can get rid off anymore.

So you say, when you try to open google.com (even when you type in the address), it will show a blank screen? That's bad. I don't think it's malware by Bing, but probably some kind of bug in FF. A complete deinstall and resinstall of FF may help, then again I've seen FF telling me all plugins and addons will be uninstalled, but they where still there after a new install... And don't forget, after every update or install of FF make your security settings (esp. remove those whitelisted automatic addons).

Maybe better use Opera IMHO.

Last edited 2011

Perturbatio(Posted 2011) [#3]
With every update all settings are reset to factory state

Ummm... no they're not.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2011) [#4]
..weird thing is that after install Opera, I cant access google trough Opera either (on same machine where FF has issues)..wtf..hmm

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2011) [#5]
There is a file named hosts, it may redirect some URLs on the system level.

Perturbatio: here it does. Can't say why. I found it rather mean that it whitelisted some addon installing URLs at all. I also don't like Browsers that want to connect to the web even if I did not try to load a page. Because Browsers are the perfect Tunneling Application these days.