Windows 7 Users

Community Forums/General Help/Windows 7 Users

big10p(Posted 2011) [#1]
What email client do you use? Thunderbird?

I dont like the sound of Windows Live Mail. I just want a simple POP3 email client.

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#2]
I use the older "Windows Mail" (the non-Live version), copied over from my Vista computer. (Windows mail is still 99% there under Windows 7 as well, except the GUI doesn't pop up on that system by default

Anyway, you can still use a POP3 account from within Windows Live Mail as well.

MCP(Posted 2011) [#3]
I've been using Thunderbird for quite some time now and I'm very happy with it. It also gets updated every now and then and has a great message filtering system.

big10p(Posted 2011) [#4]
Anyway, you can still use a POP3 account from within Windows Live Mail as well.
Yeah, I realize that but WLM sounds like it has a load of other stuff bolted on I just don't want.

MCP: OK, I'll probably give Thunderbird a whirl (haven't actually got my new PC yet).

Thanks.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#5]
I'm using Thunderturd at the moment but I don't particularly like it. More specifically I don't like how they keep letting glaring problems through to release versions (the preview pane refusing to go away, springs to mind).

Also, half the time when I try to read an email I just get a blank page. Have to close the email and reopen it again before I can actually read it.

I'm only still using it because I "know" it. One day I'll ditch it for something else. Probably Windows Live Mail.

big10p(Posted 2011) [#6]
Hmmm, that doesn't sound good. Maybe I should just get the full-blown Outlook which I'm familiar with from work. Do they sell it separately, I wonder?

[edit] They do but, Jesus, the price! :/

Last edited 2011

Grisu(Posted 2011) [#7]
I'm using TB 3.1.7 and have no issues at all.

big10p(Posted 2011) [#8]
I assume TB has no issues running under 64bit windows 7?

TaskMaster(Posted 2011) [#9]
I use GMail. Their web interface is nice and fast.

GMail can pull in the mail from your POP3 accounts, and its spam filter is second to none.

CGV(Posted 2011) [#10]
I've used Thunderbird on Win7 64bit for over a year now and have never had any issues whatsoever.

I also used it for a couple of years on WinXp without a problem.

GfK's problem may be unique to his particular setup.

I also use GMail but I download all the emails to TB. TaskMaster seems to be going the other way. I didn't know you could do that. I may change my setup.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#11]
GfK's problem may be unique to his particular setup.
The preview pane issue was very popular on their forums. It was 'fixed' a while ago now, although the preview pane still sometimes comes back on my Mac.

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#12]
I use thunderbird. It collects my email from work's exchange server and my lan's dovecot server which handles all my imap stuff to one mailbox (including gmail, dgrafix, hoemail etc...) This has the advantage that my mail is the same no matter what PC i am using but with all the advantages of a local client.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2011) [#13]
Thunderbird once threw up a cryptic error message and lost a good few weeks' worth of emails for me. I haven't trusted it since.

Weirdly, Outlook Express is the best emailer I've ever found, as long as you set it to read in plain text mode.

Maybe I ought to try Thunderbird again, as it was probably 5-10 years ago, and I really hate Windows Live Mail. I also hate the GUIs for most email programs.

I even started hacking around again earlier this evening, after reading this thread, to see if I could figure out why Outlook Express won't run on '7, trying to call OpenLibraryA on msoe.dll manually.

It seems the Windows 7 program loader can't find certain functions within msoe.dll (or was it msoert2.dll?), even though they're there, according to the Depends utility, and nothing can open it, including regsvr32.exe.

Wonder if that's deliberate... ? Cough.

MCP(Posted 2011) [#14]
Wonder if that's deliberate... ? Cough.

Probably! *Coughs louder*

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#15]
Your mail was likely still there but you had a corrupt thunderbird profile (bit like when a windows account goes screwy, when u log in you dont see your desktop or docs, as windows has created you a new account).
The mail is stored in a standardised mail format that several apps use in your profile folder (~/home/.thunderbird) on linux, not sure about windows but i would be looking under ApplicationData or LocalSettings in your home folder. Basically you simply copy the mail folder and address book to the new profile and you are back in biz.

Last edited 2011