3d model/animation advice needed

Community Forums/General Help/3d model/animation advice needed

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2011) [#1]
I need some 3d modelling advice. While I was making my 3d model, Kryzon suggested that my 3d models limbs would not bend correctly during the animation stage (and what do you know, he was right).

I then studied the 3d modelling techniques of professional 3d modellers and I was able the make my 3d model's limb bending less weird looking.

But it still looks unrealistic. Are there any techniques anyone would insist for problems like these?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#2]
There are two things I would do to correct a mesh like that: I would change the topology\geometry\mesh, and rethink how I'm assigning the vertices to the bones.
Depending on which vertex you assign to which bone you can get a different result (the decision usually comes down to two adjacent bones, like the arm and forearm for instance, test with both to see which one looks best).

Regarding the geometry, you can try to adjust your mesh to these examples:

Taken from a Ben Mathis tutorial (I think the middle example is the way to go for you, since MilkShape doesn't have vertex weights - they are always 1.0).

Taken from a not-around-the-web-anymore PDF tutorial by X-Cloud, korean artist.

Do know that even with these adjustments, if the character's leg gets bended more than a certain range its calf will indeed intersect the bottom of his thigh. There is not really a way around that, and you shouldn't worry much since it's not really visible, and if you extract animated game meshes from games like Kingdom Hearts, you will notice the artists didn't worry about the calf->thigh intersection.
I can't remember where, but I've read that for a certain game an artist would put additional bones to patch up these conflicting parts.
Like individual, animated bones just to move vertices away from intersection and make the mesh look good.

Last edited 2011