Mother wants a laptop...

Community Forums/General Help/Mother wants a laptop...

big10p(Posted 2011) [#1]
God help us all! :P

I haven't bought any hardware in a good while, so need some recommendations re: Make/Model and good place to purchase online (in UK), please. I wouldn't mind getting one from PC World if they have any good deals, though (just off now to have a look-see at their website).

Requirements are fairly basic, as she won't be using it for much other than web/email, some basic image (photo) manipulation and printing. It'll need built-in wifi and a CD/DVD writer, and a decent size/quality screen would be a plus.

As she also wants a printer, laptop+printer bundle deals would be good.

Budget is £300-£400 for a laptop and ~£80 for a printer.

Any help/advice appreciated.

Last edited 2011

GfK(Posted 2011) [#2]
Laptops Direct have some decent deals on. They also stock refurbished laptops starting around £150 which is handy on a tight budget. Not clued up on laptop brands but don't get a Compaq. I have one and it works, but it's had issues. Wouldn't recommend.

As for printers, don't get Epson or Lexmark. Canon or HP is OK.

Perturbatio(Posted 2011) [#3]
The samsung rxxx series are nice, like this one: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/224896

I have the r780 and it's pretty damned good.

Just remember to create an OS + software backup disk when it arrives (it prompts you to do so).

Last edited 2011

JBR(Posted 2011) [#4]
Hi big10p,

I recently bought a Sony F12 series from Laptops Direct. Next day delivery. They also sell on ebay under the name 'buyitdirectdiscounts'. You may be able to do a best offer on some.

Jim

big10p(Posted 2011) [#5]
Thanks for the tips. Just off to check out Laptops Direct...

and Pert's link. Ta

Last edited 2011

big10p(Posted 2011) [#6]
OK, think I'll go for the Acer Aspire 7551, after looking at one in Comet. Ticks all the boxes with a lovely 17.3 inch screen, great keyboard, DVD writer, built-in wifi etc. It even has a built in card reader that takes XD cards, which Mum's camera uses. Price £408. It was actually under £400 before the VAT increase. :/

Wouldn't mind one of these myself. :P

Somewhat strangely, Comet seem to be selling it cheaper that anywhere online; some ~£65 cheaper than Laptops Direct.

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#7]
Thing to consider: how is the laptop going to get used?

Personally I find the 17" laptops rather unwieldy to actually use on the couch or something. Bigger isn't always better.

big10p(Posted 2011) [#8]
Yeah, I did consider that but she will pretty much just be using it sitting at a table. Possibly also using it sitting in bed. She doesn't have a couch, so that isn't an issue. :)

I think she will appreciate the bigger screen and the full-size keyboard. Despite it's bigger size, it's actually pretty thin and light. It really is a very nice laptop. I'd get one myself, if I could afford it. I'm amazed what you can get for your money, these days, especially when I think back to my first laptop which cost me over £3000. :/

Shambler(Posted 2011) [#9]
I can recommend the HP D1660 printer if she just needs a basic one, only around £30, it hasn't let me down yet.

big10p(Posted 2011) [#10]
£30? Are the ink carts expensive, then? Currently, I'm leaning towards either a Canon or a Kodak.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#11]
I'm fancying an HP3050. XL carts are about £30 for a fill-up but they last ages. Plus, its wireless.

[edit] HP3050 printer is only £33 at Amazon.

Last edited 2011

big10p(Posted 2011) [#12]
Yeah, I quite fancy the idea of a wireless printer.

Wait. That printer is wireless, for 30 quid? I'll have to have a look at that one...

Last edited 2011

GfK(Posted 2011) [#13]
Just got my HP3050 from Argos (note: its listed as an HP Deskjet CH376B) for £34.99.

A doddle to set up and use, plus if you don't have/want wireless you can still connect it via USB. Its even got a ickle LCD screen on it for the settings and whatnot. Its also as small as a printer/scanner is ever going to get, and lightweight too. Oh, and its quiet when you switch it on and use it, unlike the Epson I'm about to bin, which sounded like the advance on Leningrad.

10/10 from me.

big10p(Posted 2011) [#14]
I'll keep that one on my shortlist, GFK. Seems you get so much for 35 quid. Have you tried printing any photos yet? Think Mum will be doing quite a bit of that.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#15]
Nope - generally don't bother as it isn't cost effective (on any printer) when you can go to the likes of Snapfish (which is owned by HP) or Photobox and get prints for pennies.

The last HP printer I had was great for photo printing, though.

big10p(Posted 2011) [#16]
Nope - generally don't bother as it isn't cost effective (on any printer) when you can go to the likes of Snapfish (which is owned by HP) or Photobox and get prints for pennies.
Yeah, that's pretty much what she does at the moment but I think she may want to produce folded cards with photos and text on, etc.

H&K(Posted 2011) [#17]
IF she dont have a mobile phone, then get a free one with a phone contract

GfK(Posted 2011) [#18]
IF she dont have a mobile phone, then get a free one with a phone contract
Only they aren't free - you're paying for it (and often more than its worth) via the contract.

I don't think anybody even mentioned mobile phones, anyway.

H&K(Posted 2011) [#19]
Only they aren't free - you're paying for it (and often more than its worth) via the contract.
But you are paying cost for it, not retail. On the deal I got last time, over the 18 Mths of the contract 12 of them covered the cost of what the Laptop would have cost me. And if you compared it to the HP price it was the same price over 18 mths, cept I got free text and phone calls for that time.

Plus it improved my credit rating

I don't think anybody even mentioned mobile phones, anyway.
Yep I get credit for bringing that into it

big10p(Posted 2011) [#20]
Someone bought her a mobile phone once and she never used it, which is why I'm kinda dreading her getting a laptop. :)