3d modelling troubles

Community Forums/General Help/3d modelling troubles

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2011) [#1]
I starting working on the 3d model of the protaginist of my game with the program Milkshape3d 1.8.5 and I need some help.

I am done making the head,body and arms of the character model. Now I am having alot of trouble making the legs.

Here's an image of the 3d model:

Here is a concept art of the character and how I am targeting on modelling him (the legs are what i'm having trouble with, and sorry for the HUGE image)

Is there anybody who is more experienced with 3d modelling that can share some techniques that would be used for situations like this?

I know that milkshape is not exactly a state of the art 3d modelling program like 3ds max or maya, but it's what I can afford for now.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited 2011

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#2]
Looks cute. And you reproduced the "feel" of the concept art, nice going.

I have a tip: spend a lot of time on the crotch. Once you have a well established "underpants" mesh, extruding the legs and working their edge loops\general shape will be much easier. By "spend a lot of time" I mean, think it through before you go extruding stuff and building faces; take your time with it.
Don't underestimate the importance of the crotch part. If you need any reference (be careful what you search for!), take a look at Megaman.

I would also recommend looking at game meshes so you see how other artists resolved their crotch issues - looking at professional models is the best reference ever.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2011) [#3]
There is a number of people who are using Milkshape for almost everything and I am really impressed how they do incredible things with this set of tools that in my opinion is rather spartanic. There are however many MS tutorials on the web and you should try to find them.

Money should not be an issue, there are so many Programs out there, that have a certain class and are for free.
Here's an intersting link list:
http://3dnow.informe.com/some-free-modeling-tools-dt28.html

Then again Milkshape is not bad and when you can make a character in Milkshape then you'll make it pretty much everywhere, so to say.

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2011) [#4]
Kryzon
I actually did the same exact thing but with his arms. I flipped a sphere (16,16) on it's side and extruded the arms from the top intersection.

As seen in this picture, you can see the little "circles" where the arms were extruded from.

I tried creating the crotch the same fashion, but the circle are too far away from each other.

I also tried extruding the legs from different spots of the sphere, but the legs ended up looking blocky and not good.

I would try creating the crotch from a lower polygon sphere, but as far as I know, there is no smoothing function in milkshape.

I also would try creating the crotch from vertices, but milkshape doesn't make vertices like other programs do.

Do you know of any video or document that explains something like this. I'm kinda in a nutshell right now.

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#5]
Try scaling it so it's squashed. But still, you don't necessarily need to make the crotch from a primitive like a sphere. This one you may have to come up with by hand, using the manual face building that Milkshape uses.

Here are some tutorials, the first two are for MilkShape, and the third one I think is the most adequate for your situation:

http://www.psionic.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/tutorials/lowpoly/zmod.html - Zombie
http://www.psionic.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/tutorials/lowpoly/tmgun.html - Creating a Gun
http://www.psionic.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/tutorials/lowpoly/gmod.html - Generic Dude

EDIT: If one way didn't work, try another one (educatedly well-chosen, of course).

Last edited 2011

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2011) [#6]
Kryzon
Well, I finally made the legs. What do you think?

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#7]
Nicely done, I see you made that "speedo"-like crotch so you could extrude the legs.

Did you test the animation on the legs and arms? I think that at the elbows and knees you'll have a few bending issues, if you didn't prepare the mesh to be animated by bones.
When I finish a limb I always create a few bones, assign the vertices and test the motion to see if I'll have any trouble when getting on the animation part later on. It's always better to fix something sooner rather than later.
Good luck!

EDIT: When you get to the animation part, if you need help in building realistic animations, please post again.

Last edited 2011

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2011) [#8]
Kryzon
It's nice to know someone who is willing to help.

Thanks.
You saved my game:)