New to Blitzmax, and unable to do anything

Community Forums/General Help/New to Blitzmax, and unable to do anything

Vampyre(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hey guys,

I'm very new to Blitzmax (just bought it a few minutes ago)... On the demo, everything was running very fine. After numerous of testing, I decide to buy Blitzmax.

Once downloaded, I install it (well, I'm on Mac OS Snow Leopard and installation is just placing Blitzmax to the Application folder). Once done, I launch Blitzmax, who load just a little bit more than the demo. First thing coming up is that the help doc is not build. Ok to build ? Well, ok... It works...

I do a very fast test : graphics 640,480,0

That's it, I build and run... And crash with an error : Can't find interface for module brl.blitz

Sounds like the modules are not build. Ok, building all modules... Crash again with an error : Compile Error. Error : conflicting types for qsort_b in blitz_array.c

The output gives me this :

Building Modules
Compiling:blitz_app.c
Compiling:blitz_types.c
Compiling:blitz_cclib.c
Compiling:blitz_memory.c
Compiling:blitz_module.c
Compiling:blitz_object.c
Compiling:blitz_string.c
Compiling:blitz_array.c
/Applications/BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/blitz.mod/blitz_array.c:351: error: conflicting types for 'qsort_b'
/usr/include/stdlib.h:319: error: previous declaration of 'qsort_b' was here
Build Error: failed to compile /Applications/BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/blitz.mod/blitz_array.c
Process complete

I search the forum, and find something related to mingw. I install it, but no better luck... I forgot to mention that I also have XCode 3.2 installed previous to blitzmax, but no luck there...

What should I do now ? Or what did I do wrong ?

Thanks for getting me started, even the most basic line doesn't work (graphics 640,480,0)...

So, right now, cannot do anything at all :-(

Think I found the solution... It was in the Mac OS X thread... Got it now, and hope it will compile ^^

http://www.blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=85535

Last edited 2010

dawlane(Posted 2010) [#2]
Welcome to the BlitzMax club.

You don't need to install MinGW on OS X as that's a version of the GNU compiler tools for Microsoft Windows. XCODE also has the equivalent tool set buried within it. As your using Snow Leopard you need to use the macosx86 zip files and if you want to build Univeral Applications that will work on both the PowerPC and Intel CPU's have a look in the BlitzMax tutorials under "Creating Universal Binary Distributable files"

SLotman(Posted 2010) [#3]
Wait... so it is possible using a PowerPC Mac to make code that runs on a Intel Mac?

skidracer(Posted 2010) [#4]
Also make sure you are installing the latest version of BlitzMax from the account section of this site.

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#5]
Don't know about that one, but you can create PowerMac binaries on an Intel Mac...

And if you use Brucey's modified BMK you can make the universal binary that runs on both platforms all in one go from an Intel Mac.

therevills(Posted 2010) [#6]
so it is possible using a PowerPC Mac to make code that runs on a Intel Mac?

Yep, the Intel Macs uses some kind of emulator to run PowerPC software... of course it runs a tad slower because of this...

xlsior is right that you can create PowerPC binaries on an Intel Mac by using the PowerPC BlitzMax IDE, but you would just create a Universal Binary if you had an Intel Mac... wouldnt ya? :P

jhans0n(Posted 2010) [#7]
Snow Leopard (10.6) doesn't come with Rosetta (the PowerPC emulator) installed by default, so don't rely on being able to run PowerPC code. Also, the Mac App Store apparently won't accept apps that rely on Rosetta.