Blocking Internet Access

Community Forums/General Help/Blocking Internet Access

kenshin(Posted 2010) [#1]
I've been trying out a voip phone, but it's laggy as hell on my 128/512 connection.

On my router I have the voip plugged in, my main host pc, and a remote desktop connection to a crappy guest pc which is used for browsing/downloading, anything net related.

Is it possible to easily stop the guest pc completely from accessing internet without breaking the remote connection between the host/guest? i.e. I can't disable the network adapter or unplug the network lead.

I find that if I unplug the guest, the voip lag is much less, but I don't wanna do that all the time. Even though the guest is not downloading or browsing, it seems to greatly increase the lag, so I guess it's taking some upload bandwidth even when it's sitting idle.

I know I need quicker internet but that's not an option at the moment.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited 2010

VIP3R(Posted 2010) [#2]
Change the LAN settings on the guest system to use a proxy server with the home address (127.0.0.1), it's in the 'Connections' tab of 'Internet Options'.

kenshin(Posted 2010) [#3]
Thanks, that works better.

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#4]
You may also be able to set some QOS settings (=Quality Of Service) on your router -- Many routers have the ability to prioritize VOIP traffic that way.

enforcing a QOS for VOIP means that the router will give priority and dedicate all it can to your VOIP device, and have everything else fight over the remaining bandwidth.

kenshin(Posted 2010) [#5]
I looked into QOS but my Netgear DG834 v2 is too old. Apparently the later versions support it, either native or with a hacked firmware, but not mine. While I was looking into QOS I did find out that my router does support DMZ, so I've set the VOIP box (Mitron MV1) a static IP address and set the same IP address as DMZ. I think that's correct, as the router is now always allocating my specified IP to the Mitron.

Anyway, the lag is down to about 0.5 secs now, down from roughly 2-3 seconds which was pretty much unusable. Next time I get a router I'll make sure it has QOS, but I have to work out a plan for that as it'll involve convincing the missus and she already let me lash out on a new gfx card a month ago:)

Thx for all the help.

Last edited 2010

Ginger Tea(Posted 2010) [#6]
just tell her the money you are saving vs land line/mobile calls
VOIP is going to cost the same if its down the road or the other side of the world

kenshin(Posted 2010) [#7]
Funny you should say about the voip call costs. It's 15c per minute to call a local mobile, but only 2c per minute to call an overseas mobile. Still, it is about 50% cheaper than a normal phone.