Website design critique

Community Forums/General Help/Website design critique

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hey guys, just wondering if any fellow graphic designers could give me some critique on a website I'm building (Mostly designing. It'll be pretty basic technically) for my cousins band. (Relevant to blitz as they said they'd do some music for my small project, so this is a favour of sorts to them)

Thanks in advance for any tips you can give me. The style suits the way they play btw.

Last edited 2010

CASO(Posted 2010) [#2]
Pretty cool. Although the code needs to be clean too.

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#3]
Yeah, I was thinking about an editor, rather than typing it, as I'm very poor at website coding. We'll see, but thanks for the comments!

Gabriel(Posted 2010) [#4]
I like it. I can't quite put my finger on it but something about the drop shadow on the two white textboxes doesn't look right to me. I know why it's there, but I'm not sure it's needed with the black outline around the boxes. Other than that, I can't fault it. Very nice work.

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#5]
Yeah, I see what you mean. It kind of gives it a desktop, pinboard type look. With the video window not having it, I suppose it knocks it off. Thanks for the comments Gab.

_PJ_(Posted 2010) [#6]
I'm not a graphic designer, but whilst it all looks very neat and tidy (and crystal clear which is invaluable!), something about the white boxes seems a little 'clinical' to me.
I think a slight colour, (of course keep it light and soft, with a good strong contrast between the text and the background) would make the world of difference.
The same too for the 'title' Whilst I can appreciate the "Black Lioghts" may be the logo etc, having such a colourful background and the coloured buttons leaves the white areas looking like a piece of canvas left blank in a painting.

If it's just my eyes/resolution and they are not fully plain white, then ignore me, but otherwise, I really think just a very soft shading in pale blue\violet or contrasting pinky-orange-yellow thing would really help!

Other than tht, I think it's great. Too many such sites are often cluttered, messy and hard to actually spot the 'important' bits quickly. (Take Mmany bands' "MySpace" pages for numerous exmples). I appreciate this isn't the finished product, and it's the scheme/layout we're looking at here, but some images, whether cartoony or photos would go great on that front page too!

Last edited 2010

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#7]
Yeah, I understand where your coming from with that one. I would love to fill it with content of the band, but, they don't have much at all... I'll give the white bits a bit of a tint and see if it looks different :) Thanks for the helpful comments.