Who are Big Fish games?

Community Forums/General Help/Who are Big Fish games?

_PJ_(Posted 2010) [#1]
The reason I ask is because every time I visit these forums, or change pages, I get spammed with cookies from them . . .

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#2]
They're one of the largest portal site selling games.

'fairway solitaire' is published by Big Fish games, and it's listed as a featured game on the frontpage of this website -- perhaps it's referring back to bfg or something, triggering the cookie?

Shortwind(Posted 2010) [#3]
Your infected (purposely or not) by a "ad" toolbar, webbug, etc. I get no extraneous "cookies" from these forums.

:(

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#4]
nor do I and I've been to big fish's web site too

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#5]
Oh -- another option:

You could be running firefox, which has an option to 'prefetch' cache data to speed up load times. the idea is that after a page loads, it automatically spiders links on the page and starts pre-loading them, so when you DO click on a link it will appear faster.

Since the blitzmax main page has a link to big fish games (the fairway solitaire one), it could automatically do that in the background.

Similarly, AVG also has a optional component that automatically follows links on pages you open to check the stuff to make sure that the page is safe (don't remember the name they gave it -- 'safesearch' or something? It was enabled by default in certain versions)

_PJ_(Posted 2010) [#6]

Your infected (purposely or not) by a "ad" toolbar, webbug, etc. I get no extraneous "cookies" from these forums.

nor do I and I've been to big fish's web site too

Not that I don';t believe you, but are you SURE? How are you checking for your cookies, since non-permanent, i.e. expiring cookies can be downloaded/written, checked, then deleted in the blink of an eye.
Also, not all cookies are presented in the COokies folder, since some are generated within the interenet cache.

I have neither neither Firefox, nor the AVG Safesearch thing.
---
Since the blitzmax main page has a link to big fish games (the fairway solitaire one), it could automatically do that in the background.

This seems to be the reason, they slip a cookie in with the ad for traffic monitoring perhaps, it seems at least there's an attempt to identify something about a "game"/"genre", presumably a referall code for if the advert is clicked, BFG know which advert for which game etc got clicked?

The cookies are session cookies only, with names:
"mktcode" (Market code?)
"afsrc"
"sookie"
"tookie"
"kookie"

Whilst most contain typically non-threatening data, perhaps to identify the acquisition of cookies (for example "bfgdefault"contained within "mktcode"), the cookies "kookie","sookie" and "tookie" contain a large chunk of enccrypted 'something' and a phrase of either "yes" or "no"

As well as one named "sessionprefs" which looks to be analysing whether Javascripts are enabled on the browser.

It's not that I consioder these cookies to be potentially thereatening or 'spying', I just wondered if there was a specific reason they were here, whether it was intended with the BRL forums or not.

TomToad(Posted 2010) [#7]
You are most likely infected with some sort of adware running in the background. There are adware that will scan any web page you open and will pop up a window advertising something related to the page. I once somehow installed an adult oriented adware program. Whenever I opened a page with adult keywords, an ad would pop up. Go to KFC site to read about their new grilled chicken breast, and I'd be bombarded with ads about hot DDD chicks.
The best thing to do is download a good anti-virus program and do a scan. Most will offer free scans. Trend Micro and AVG come to mind. Even though the adware is technically not a virus, because they are usually loaded without the person's knowledge and they usually affect the normal operation of the computer, it will be treated as a virus and removed from the system.

Dabhand(Posted 2010) [#8]

I once somehow installed an adult oriented adware program.

I can picture the scene:-

"I dont know how it got there honey... Honest"! ;)

Dabz

Last edited 2010

Blitzplotter(Posted 2010) [#9]
"I dont know how it got there honey... Honest"! ;)

Heh heh :).

Nope, I don't get any pop-ups from Big Fish & I've bought some of their games!

Last edited 2010