Ati HD 5750 1GB - Whenever fullscreen app.........

Community Forums/General Help/Ati HD 5750 1GB - Whenever fullscreen app.........

Amon(Posted 2010) [#1]
I recently bought an ATI OEM HD 5750 1GB. My old Radeon 4890 HD saw its last days and I had to put it to rest.

Ok! Basically with this new 5750 card whenever I go in to a fullscreen app i.e. I compile a blitzapp and it starts fullscreen, or play fifa 11 or Pro evo 2011 fullscreen, the resolution on my monitor goes bent out of shape.

How can I describe it; basically my res runs at 1680x1050 on a Samsung Syncmaster 22in. When said app/game goes in to full screen the resolution changes and sort of takes up my screen plus a half on each side, so the actual view is a small part of the desktop. Only when I go in to Catalyst BugFest Control Panel and reset to factory defaults does the 1680x1050 res go back to normal.

I didn't even understand what I wrote either so I don't expect anyone else to. :)

Is there a fix or is the card heading for the cemetary?

puki(Posted 2010) [#2]
Not sure.

I'd also check the refresh rate that the card is trying to use - it may be outside of the monitor's range. Test it/lock it at 60 Hertz to see if it makes any difference.

It is worth checking that the card is not set up for multiple monitors. Everytime I install an nVidia update, they always reset the display for multiple monitors - it doesn't affect my display, but I always change the setting back to single monitor output.

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#3]
Depends on what exactly is going on: If you move the mouse to the edges of the screen, does the window 'scroll' to the side?

I've seen that kind of behaviour when the videocard is not fully aware of the actual maximim resolution supported by the monitor, where it virtualizes a larger res while really running at a lower resolution.

It could be a combination of resolution + refreshrate that's causing the problem there.

Many LCd monitors will show you the actual current resolution in the on-screen menu if you try to adjust your monitor settings: does it actually list 1680x1050 there, or something less?

Another potential option: If you are connected by VGA inttead of DVI, there may be pixelclock timing issues which can lead to an incorrect horizontal pixel clock offset -- when it looks wrong, go into your monitor's settings (on the monitor itself, not the computer) and try to look for an 'autoadjust' or 'autodetect' settings -- that may get it to readjust the timings to things fit.

If that's fixes the problem, then switching to a DVI cable should permanently make the issue go away since the analog pixel clock gets taken out of the equation at that point.

finally, I'd suggest that you make sure that you have the actual monitor 'drivers' installed for your display. The monitor.inf file that typically comes on the CD bundled with your display. It typically appears useless, but it does tell your computer the exact capabilities of the monitor when it comes to all the supported refresh rates, resolutions, and timings. If there's a problem for the computer obtaining or decyphering the EDID embeded info from the monitor, then you can end up with odd behaviours like you're seeing right now. Installing the monitor 'driver' may make it go away.

Amon(Posted 2010) [#4]
Hi! Thanks for your guys help. After trawling the forums on the amd site it appears the new Catalyst Drivers were detecting my monitor wrong. What I did was remove the monitor driver it installed and prevented it from being reinstalled and things seem to be going fine.

Thanks again!