Graphics card fan failing

Community Forums/General Help/Graphics card fan failing

QuickSilva(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hello, I have a Geforce 9800 GTX+ graphics card and the built in fan has just started to fail after making many strange noises over the past week. I do not really know what to do next.

The card is no longer under warranty so is it possible to buy these sorts of fans or can I use an alternative? The fan currently clips on top of the heatsink, I am not sure if it is permanently attached to it or if you can take it off? If this is the case then what are my options?

As the card is still working well apart from this I do not really want to buy a whole new card. Is this my only option? I hope not!

Thanks for any advice.

Jason.

GfK(Posted 2010) [#2]
You can replace the fan. Just had a quick check and you're looking at $30-40.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2010) [#3]
Or email the manufacturer, even if it's out of warranty -- my brother did this and they just sent a new fan. Depends who it's made by, of course.

AdrianT(Posted 2010) [#4]
I'd get a decent third party fan cooler. Sometimes they are a bit odd looking and big, but usually much better designs. I had a old 2 speed copper zalman on an old card which had a large slow fan and was silent, even at the slowest 5v speed setting it cooled more efficiently than the stock cooler maxed out.

Last edited 2010

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#5]
That's one of the reasons I only go with passively cooled cards myself -- big honking heatsink won't go bad.

The highest end card are only fan-cooled, but you can get a pretty decent passively cooled upper mid-range card that allows you to play the vast majority of games out there.

_JIM(Posted 2010) [#6]
Aftermarket coolers are the way to go. That is if you have enough space inside the case.

They're usually a lot more efficient than the standard ones. Take the case of my video card for example: 4870x2. 83 C idle, 95+ C full load. As soon as the fan was over 40% it started sounding like a vacuum cleaner.

I got a cooler for it (accelero xtreme) and now it's a triple slot card but: 35 C idle, 48 C full load (after 30 mins). The fans are silent (read "cannot be heard") up to 80%, but they never hit that.

Only 2 downsides: extra cost, extra space used.

Your 9800GTX+ was a high-end card so there's no way you can find a passive cooler, but you can try this: Accelero Xtreme 9800

Last edited 2010

QuickSilva(Posted 2010) [#7]
Just wanted to thank everyone who gave me advice, sorry for the late reply but I`m now back up and running with a much quieter after market cooler.

I would highly recommend one to anyone else here who has a noisy fan.

Jason.

D4NM4N(Posted 2010) [#8]
:)

Last edited 2010