Laptop suggestions

Community Forums/General Help/Laptop suggestions

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#1]
I need to buy a new laptop for my granddaughter. Hers was recently stolen. My laptops are work issued, so I do not have a choice in what I buy so I do not keep up with what is the best or what is problematic. I do not want a netbook.

I am looking for something in the 15.6 inch range, and under $550. She needs it for taking notes, watching DVDs/videos and at the most she plays casual games and Sims 3 IIRC.

I am looking at this Acer which is $379 and this Toshiba which is $499.

What do you think of these two? The reviews for the Toshiba mention a noisy fan that seems stuck on high. How worried should I be about that? Does Acer make reliable products?

Any advice, pointers or other suggestions would be greatly welcomed.

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#2]
I should also note, I want something that will last her the next couple of years so it will get her through college.

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#3]
The reviews for the Toshiba mention a noisy fan that seems stuck on high. How worried should I be about that

Depends on the user.

My wife probably wouldn't care, but it would drive me up a wall.

I am looking at this Acer which is $379 and this Toshiba which is $499.

the Toshiba is only 14", and 1.8GHz (although a tripple core) -- for single-threaded apps that won't use the dual cores it won't be much faster than a netbook.

The Acer doesn't mention the model of CPU, so it's quite possible that it's a single-core celeron or something.

If you know what kind of specs you're looking for, you may want to take a look here:
http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=32&name=Laptops-Notebooks

Mix & Match the things that matter to you, and pick your choice...

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#4]
The Acer CPU is: 2.20 GHz AMD V Series V120 single-core processor

I guess, too, I am wondering which brands to avoid...