Virtual Machine MaxOSX

Community Forums/General Help/Virtual Machine MaxOSX

Shortwind(Posted 2010) [#1]
If I purchase the current Mac OS for x86 machines will it run in Sun's (now Oracle's) VM VirtualBox?

I assume apple is still restricting the software from running in a VM?

I need to test Mac code, can someone suggest the minimum hardware (cheapest) I'd need to buy to cross test my code?

Thanks,
:D

GW(Posted 2010) [#2]
I would try virtual box with win95 or something first, youll quickly find out that VB is a completely closed system.

dawlane(Posted 2010) [#3]
I would try virtual box with win95 or something first, youll quickly find out that VB is a completely closed system.

You'll find out that VB doesn't fully support OS's less than Windows XP. It 's possible to install Mac OSX in VB. I'm trying it out now using this guide. I will let you know how I get on.

NOTE: There are licensing issues as OS X is only meant to run on Apple hardware.

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#4]
MacOS has a bunch of restrictions detecting a 'genuine' Apple device -- it won't run on just any x86.

Aside from the technical limitations, it's also explicitly against the Apple TOS.

dawlane(Posted 2010) [#5]
Mac OSX + Virtualbox is possible. I couldn't get sound to work. But I would advise you to buy a Mac mini as every thing is guaranteed work out of the box (almost) and then you wouldn't be breaking any TOS.

Shortwind(Posted 2010) [#6]
Thanks for the info. It's all what I figured.

:(

coffeedotbean(Posted 2010) [#7]
Well I have used a hackintosh dual boot in the past - an x86 Intel PC using the G31 Intel Chipset, you'll need to download a modified OSX disc *ahem* but hey I own an original OSX disc (ok well my brother does).

I now have a mac mini but my hackintosh worked fine... although any stuff I released I complied on my brother MAC just to be sure.