Shareit , BMT Micro or ... ?

Community Forums/General Help/Shareit , BMT Micro or ... ?

Difference(Posted 2010) [#1]
What are you recommendations for a good payment gateway /distributor?

It's for a small Utility /Fun application that will have a downloadable demo, and a link to it's main site where you can buy the full version.

It's for both Mac and PC.

Customers should get a link to a non crippled full version, after they pay.

Oddball(Posted 2010) [#2]
FastSpring, but mainly because they can pay you using PayPal with no charge, and thus avoiding international bank transfer/check costs. Also, I hate Share*It's control panel.

Sauer(Posted 2010) [#3]
I use PayPal, but a lot of people here recommend Plimus.

ziggy(Posted 2010) [#4]
avangate is the best, in my experience.

jhans0n(Posted 2010) [#5]
The only one I've used is Plimus, and it seems to do the job.

Difference(Posted 2010) [#6]
Thanks guys, your suggestions are mush appreciated.

Any more?

GfK(Posted 2010) [#7]
I prefer Paypal. ShareIt fleece you for VAT.

TaskMaster(Posted 2010) [#8]
What about Google Checkout?

I use it to sell stuff, and I always choose it when it is an option for purchasing.

Difference(Posted 2010) [#9]
ShareIt fleece you for VAT.

Can you rephrase that, because I'm not sure what it means?

What about Google Checkout?

I don't think it's available for me as a reseller from Denmark, but I'll check up on it.
It does however look like you have to make an account first.
[EDIT] http://checkout.google.com/support/sell/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=134420
Google Checkout is available to U.S. and U.K. merchants. U.S. Google Checkout merchants must have a U.S. bank account and U.S. address, plus either of the following:

* A Social Security number (optional) and a valid credit card
* A Federal Tax ID/Employer Identification Number (EIN)

In this case I don't want customers to have to sign up first.
I'd like purchase to be:

Click "Buy now " -> Credit card info - > [Ok] - > download link.

I'm leaning towards a service that will host the full version password protected. Like what you can get with BMT Micro.

Zethrax(Posted 2010) [#10]
It might also be worth checking out http://www.e-junkie.com/ . For $5 a month they'll handle payment processing (via Paypal) and download provisioning. Payment is immediate.

TaskMaster(Posted 2010) [#11]
Yes, buyers do have to make an account to purchase using google checkout. Unless they already have a gmail account.

But, the registration form is just a simple single form, which asks for all of the same info you would need to enter, just to use your credit card. So, it isn't that big of a hassle.

The whole, you have to be from the US or UK thing does make a difference though.

GfK(Posted 2010) [#12]
Can you rephrase that, because I'm not sure what it means?
Well, anything I've ever bought from ShareIt, I've always had to pay 19% VAT on; even when the UK rate was 15%. Perils of buying stuff online, I guess.

Another thing that annoys me is that ShareIt seem to have their own exchange rate which is always more favourable to them than what the currencies market says the rate actually is.

Its a rip off all round, really.

Oddball(Posted 2010) [#13]
Just a small correction, but VAT is now 17.5% in the UK and is set to rise to 20% in January.

Difference(Posted 2010) [#14]
@Gfk : thank for the clarifivation. That's something to consider.

Looking into the others...

Canardian(Posted 2010) [#15]
According to this article: http://foliovision.com/2010/01/21/paypal-google-checkout-digital-river ,
I think I would use PayPal, although Avangate looks quite promising too.

Last edited 2010

TaskMaster(Posted 2010) [#16]
I think the info they have there about Google Checkout is incorrect.

Google Checkout does not maintain money in an account for you. It is immediately deposited into your bank account.

When someone purchases something from me, it is in my bank account within a day or two. I do not build up a balance in some "Google" bank account and manually withdraw it.

Canardian(Posted 2010) [#17]
However, Google Checkout still only works in US and UK, that's only 2 small countries out of the 350 countries in the world. I don't even get why US and UK are always in the headlines, I think Finland, Italy, Turkey, China and Japan are much better countries :)

Last edited 2010

TaskMaster(Posted 2010) [#18]
The person selling has to be in the US or UK. But buyers can be anywhere. I have had people buy from Germany and other countries.