Any lightweight free virus scanners out there?

Community Forums/General Help/Any lightweight free virus scanners out there?

Richard Betson(Posted 2010) [#1]
Any lightweight free virus scanners out there?

Thanks.

Danny(Posted 2010) [#2]
For win, I recommend AVast free anti-virus, it's light enough and does what it should without hassle. You only need to register, but otherwise it's free.

coffeedotbean(Posted 2010) [#3]
http://free.avg.com/gb-en/homepage

Wiebo(Posted 2010) [#4]
For Windows I assume? Try Microsoft Security Essentials. It's free and very good.

-=Darkheart=-(Posted 2010) [#5]
I use avg for home and have done for a while, works well, pretty unobtusive, not a terrible resource hog.

Darkheart

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#6]
I use AVG myself, but also used Microsoft Security Essentials.

The MS one is actually pretty good (was able to clean out some infected files for me that multiple other antivirus programs including McAfee couldn't repair), but the downside of it is that it is mandatory to join their reporting network, meaning it does a bunch of phoning home.

Wiebo(Posted 2010) [#7]
That's a small price to pay for a free tool, and it actually helps to make it better.

Canardian(Posted 2010) [#8]
ClamWin is the lightest.

Grafos(Posted 2010) [#9]
I use Avast, I was kind of annoyed with AVG, but it's been so long, I can't even remember the reason.
I've had a very bad experience with ClamWin, I tried it a year or two ago, and got a nasty virus almost immediately. Had to reformat to get rid of it.

AdrianT(Posted 2010) [#10]
I started using MS security essentials and am finding it good. I used NOD32 before but wanted something similar but cheaper.