Looking to sell my desktop - Should I split it up?

Community Forums/General Help/Looking to sell my desktop - Should I split it up?

Murilo(Posted 2010) [#1]
Having "converted" to OSX and the Mac almost 12 months ago, I've finally decided to ditch my (self built) desktop PC. I can't remember the last time I powered it up!

My question is... Do second hand desktops still sell these days, or would I be better of selling the individual components separately on eBay? I was thinking of advertising it, as a complete computer, in my local paper.

My hardware:

Antec Nine Hundred Case
EVGA 680i Motherboard
Gainward GTX 260 "Golden Sample" (annoyingly, purchased just before I switched to the Mac)
Soundblaster Xtreme Gamer

I have the boxes for all components if I sell them individually. Should I expect to make more money selling them individually?

GfK(Posted 2010) [#2]
*EEK! Double post*

GfK(Posted 2010) [#3]
Dunno.... swings and roundabouts.

Personally I'd break it up and sell the parts.

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#4]
It depends on where you live... I'd check eBay to see what the going rate would be for the parts, and see if it makes sense to do so.

It kind of depends on your target audience though: a used gaming PC may still have more value then the individual parts, since it may be all a teenager who wants to buy his first PC can afford.

Regardless, you can expect to get back just a fraction of the retail value when things were new, of course.

_JIM(Posted 2010) [#5]
I'd say it's always better to try and sell it as a whole. Otherwise you might end up with a bunch of leftovers. Plus, my lazy mind says it's easier to just get rid of it all at once and get your money.

Fun fact: Same case and sound card as me. Same video card as the one I bought for my brother's pc, which has the same motherboard as you :)

Murilo(Posted 2010) [#6]
I'm guessing I could make more by selling the components, but it's the hassle of having to take it all apart and eBaying each item in turn. Maybe I'm just being lazy. Most of my old machines were sold to family (usually at a significant loss - "family discount"), but everyone seems to have laptops these days.

@_JIM: It's nice piece of kit that has served me well.

*(Posted 2010) [#7]
Thing is if you sell it whole you will sell at a loss anyway as most people dont buy second hand PC's at crazy prices. If you sell the individual components then you would have a better chance of getting something on the deal.

I would look on ebay and see what all your components are worth then search for a complete system near your specification and then work the price from there after all what better way than to see if the price is what your looking for.