Broadband changed without notifying me!

Community Forums/General Help/Broadband changed without notifying me!

JBR(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hi, I've had a 'tiscali' broadband package for many years. Now 'TalkTalk' owns tiscali and I was paying £15 for 1Mb unlimited. Now without notification they have bumped it up to £20 for 8Mb and 40Gb limit. (lines top speed is 3Mb).

No email saying they were doing it. Lucky I had money in my account!

What is going on? I pay BT phone line charges as well, so that brings it to over £30 a month. I could sign up to an 18 months contract with TalkTalk for £20 a month with line rental included.

What do you guys suggest?
Jim

dawlane(Posted 2010) [#2]
I would say change you ISP, but it wouldn't surprise me that if TalkTalk say that you will have to wait twelve months as they more than likely have signed you up for a new contract without telling you. If your in a cable area why not sign up to a Virgin Media (Note: Richard Branson has nothing to do with VM apart that he has shares) deal broadband + phone and get rid of BT.

But my advice would be to shop around and find out what deals are on and defiantly find out what the customer service is like as well as any horror stories.

*(Posted 2010) [#3]
JBR: go for Virgin I got 10Mb with TV and Phone for less than £30 a month.

GfK(Posted 2010) [#4]
Cancel the direct debit so they can't steal any more money, then go get some answers.

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#5]
I would say change you ISP, but it wouldn't surprise me that if TalkTalk say that you will have to wait twelve months as they more than likely have signed you up for a new contract without telling you

Normally a change in the terms of service or rates entitles you to cancel without penalty or early termination fees.

_PJ_(Posted 2010) [#6]
(Posted 5 hours ago) #4

Cancel the direct debit so they can't steal any more money, then go get some answers.

I agree with GfK here.
Seriously, somewhere you musta signed an agreement to pay so much for so long. For them to change without notification is a breach of that agreement and just as bad as if you decided to stop paying them (which seems fair eenough right now ;) )
Withoold payments, then give them a call and get the details, don't let the idiots in the callcentre fob you off either. ;)

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#7]
Call them up and say you want new customer pricing and get a 6 month deal or whatever they will give you. Then, before the deal is ending call them up and say you are switching and they will likely extend your deal. Before that deal is done, call again and if they say they won't extend the deal (most likely) tell them you are switching providers and seriously do if they don't give you a deal... because the new one probably will give you a deal. Not sure about your area but we have two large providers (Shaw and Telus) and I just switch services back and forth and always have a bill <$67/mo CAN for phone,internet, and tv.

Gabriel(Posted 2010) [#8]
TalkTalk are the worst broadband provider going, and that's up against some pretty stiff competition. I like the service I get with Virgin Media, as others above apparently do, but they are expensive. If you don't want to switch to Virgin, then shop around and find someone you do want to switch to. I can guarantee you'll want to switch once you've been with TalkTalk for a few weeks.

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#9]
Don't know where this impression that Virgin Media are pretty wide spread. I used to think that, and all they do is the national phone service, hiring the line from BT. I had to laugh at BT's infinity service too, offering fibre optic broadband... in most all the same areas as Virgin Media.

UK internet is a bloody joke... (not saying Virgin Media aren't good. I was very happy with the broadband and telly. Solid stuff, but my current area (Aberdeen) doesn't have it, which is surprising actually)

Hope you get a decent supplier man.

coffeedotbean(Posted 2010) [#10]
I am on Bethere.co.uk I get 14mb on their ADSL2 service, happy customer for almost 2 years, no capping, slow downs.. cannot recommend them enough. £17/month worth every penny.

I worked for Virgin ADSL for two years.. unless they have cleaned up their act in the last year I would stay away from virgins ADSL service. Cable should be fine though.