Mixing DDR2 memory

Community Forums/General Help/Mixing DDR2 memory

EOF(Posted 2010) [#1]
Is is safe to install two types of DDR2 memory with differing speeds into a motherboard?

The PC in question has a new 2GB DDR2 stick at 667Mhz
The memory stick removed is 512MB DDR2 but this is likely to be at a lower Mhz

Since there is a spare memroy slot I want to fill it with the 512MB stick. Would this be an issue if the two sticks differ in Mhz?

big10p(Posted 2010) [#2]
Could depend on your mobo but I'm guessing it'll be fine as long as your run your mem clock at the lower rated speed.

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#3]
On most motherboards it should be fine, provided:

- That the slowest stick is still equal to or faster than the minimum speed necessary for the motherboard
- Depending on the motherboard, you /may/ need to put the slowest stick in the first memory slot
- Everything will run at the slowest speed, although a computer with more 'slow' memory will typically still feel faster than one with less 'fast' memory.

Possible caveat: Make sure that the voltage of the memory stick is acceptable to the motherboard. DDR was pretty standardized, DDR2 voltages can be in a pretty wide range, and some motherboards may require the various banks to all work at the same voltage. If the memory chips can't come to a agreement here, then your system may end up being really unstable. It shouldn't break anything, but may not work reliably.

GfK(Posted 2010) [#4]
Done this many times in the past and never had a problem.

Richard Betson(Posted 2010) [#5]
I also have a mixed set and the computer boots and defaults to the slower 333mhz speed no problems.

EOF(Posted 2010) [#6]
Thanks. Good info as usual

Since it's not my PC I wanted to take extra precaution
Anyhow, The extra 512MB is installed now and the PC runs without complaint (apart from having to cope with Windows Blista)

D4NM4N(Posted 2010) [#7]
Yep DDR2 can me mixed up (it should all clock to slowest if, as said above it is supported)

What about DDR3 though? I have not come across this yet myself and someone told me it needs to be paired. :/

dawlane(Posted 2010) [#8]
What about DDR3 though? I have not come across this yet myself and someone told me it needs to be paired. :/
According to my Rampage 2 Extreme manual the recommended minimum memory configuration is two DIMM'S, but says that varying memory size can be installed in Channels A,B and C as long as the DIMM'S have the same CAS latency.

D4NM4N(Posted 2010) [#9]
tx :)

Canardian(Posted 2010) [#10]
I bought today one Kingston DDR3 2GB chip, and the salesman said it works alone with my Asus P5K motherboard. I had already two Kingston 1GB DDR3 chips in my PC, so now I have 4GB.

Last edited 2010