Ultimate Unwrap import/export

Community Forums/General Help/Ultimate Unwrap import/export

GfK(Posted 2010) [#1]
Just a quick Q really as the trial of UU does not allow you to export, so I don't see any way of finding this out for myself.

If I create a 3DS Max scene with objects, lights and cameras, what exactly will I be able to import to UU and then export to B3D format? Will the cameras go, too? How will they be represented? I know they won't be a camera, as such, but provided I can create a camera and put it in the right position/orientation, that's good enough.

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#2]
Can you give me a .3ds scene and i'll try it?

GfK(Posted 2010) [#3]
I don't have one. :(

Its just a hypothetical question at the moment.

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#4]
Ah... I would imagine they would be exported as pivots? Complete guess, which isn't much use :)

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#5]
GfK, can you e-mail me so I can get your e-mail?

*(Posted 2010) [#6]
I have ultimate unwrap and the 3ds import I have here just does meshes and thats it, I dont know if someone has done another one that loads more but all I can load is bog standard 3ds meshes :s

Beaker(Posted 2010) [#7]
3ds is the last thing I would use to get my stuff from Max into Unwrap. Ever tried FBX, Collada, ASE or the Unwrap Max plugin (v9 and under)?

GfK(Posted 2010) [#8]
I didn't say 3ds! I thought Ultimate Unwrap could open .max files, then spit out something more useful?

Beaker(Posted 2010) [#9]
It can't open .max files. But you can export from Max to Unwrap using the Unwrap plugin, but it only works on older versions on Max. Which version of Max do you have?

AdrianT(Posted 2010) [#10]
Actually the max plugins were updated to support 2010/2011 recently which is cool. For the best part of a year you were stuck if you didn't have 2009.

I haven't used it with b3d for a long time and I have UU3d 2.x

It does bones and basic materials, 2 UV's vertex colours. Can't remember if it exports a dummy or point as a node in B3D. Overall the support for B3D used to be good last time I used it in 2004.

I really wish Pudding recompiled his exporter for max, that thing was brilliant, especially the extensions.