Blu ray player or Home Cinema........

Community Forums/General Help/Blu ray player or Home Cinema........

Blitzplotter(Posted 2010) [#1]
A recent thread about the amount of electric the XBox 360 uses got me too thinking about a dedicated DVD player, then I though hell, why not investigate Blu-Ray players.

My investigations led me to this little beauty:-

Phillips BDP7500BL/05 &
Cable
15.6 watts
149.95 quids
at a UK place called
Richer
Sounds

Now according to :-

http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-356-3.htm

that was gonna give me a saving of 110 Watts or so.

Then I got to thinking, how about some surround sounds speakers for some nice 5.1 surround sound. Anyways, transpires that you are better off with a dedicated home cinema system than separates (unless your an audio purist....) for a couple of reasons:-

1. Home cinemas use less lecky than separates
2. They're better priced.

Anyhow, I've got one of these little beauties on order, due to arrive Tuesday - might be retiring my stereo with the huge JBL speakers now:

http://www.wheresells.co.uk/sony-bdv-e370.html?k=7365&a=5184737812&s=ga&gclid=CIyO6dO7kKQCFYiX2AodGHpxJA

Its got 850 watts of soundage, I'm guessing that must be summed output.

AND it only uses 28 Watts of power.... must be magic (;-) From the reviews it certainly sounds it, standby power is impressively low at less than half a watt.

So, now I'll (only) be saving around a 100 watts of power & have lurvly 5.1 surround sound to boot, Oh yeah and I can see what everyone has been raving about with respect to the Blu-ray format. I was considering getting a PS3 for its mutliplicity however seeing as it uses a massive 175 watts of power (a massive 50 watts more than the XBox360), I'll be saving 145 ish watts of lecky by not buying the PS3. Whoops correction, the PS3 uses 186 watts during HD DVD playback. Thats an even bigger leccky saving! I confess, I (may) miss playing some of the Ps3 specific titles, but I've enough other gaming bits and bobs to see me through.

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#2]
The PS3 uses stupid amounts of lecky doing nothing, just sitting idle :) I got a surround sound dvd home cinema thing. The speaker ain't amazing, but at least I know I'm saving some money.

On a semi-related subject, I got a letter from the electricity company last week. I had been paying £25 a month for my 1 bedroom flat, and the electricity company said I was in credit and they owed ME £3.68. On the same letter they said they wanted to increase my monthly payments to £86! Always check your bills, eh? They put it back to £25... Anyway, sounds like a good system :)

D4NM4N(Posted 2010) [#3]
get one of these
http://www.asrock.com/nettop/overview.asp?Model=ION%20330HT-BD
Great home entertainment center/media server/file server/Imap server/console emu and backup station. It can also play PC games on medium settings.
It also has a remote that works with standard media players (win/linux XBMC, VLC, Mplayer, Rythmbox etc...)

(ther is a cheaper version with intel, which can just about play pc games with low graphics settings too, although it is not really a games machine)

Blitzplotter(Posted 2010) [#4]
@Ross C, yeah those utility bill formatter's generally make the bills as convoluted as they can....

@D4NM4N, looks like a nice piece of kit!

-=Darkheart=-(Posted 2010) [#5]
If you buy a blu ray player and don't have a home cinema (5.1) setup then you are missing about 1/2 the experience. I personally wouldn't bother without the home cinema bit the extra video quality isn't that much of a big deal. If you watched a Blu Ray and then an upscaled DVD and you didn't know beforehand which was which you probably wouldn't notice.

The Sony home cinema system your looking it s a pretty decent one for an entry level system and will do everything you need, I think spending much more is a waste unless you're a huge audiophile.

Darkheart

taumel(Posted 2010) [#6]
The Blu-Ray movies i watched had an insane quality compared to any DVD i've seen. You can count each single hair if the Blu-Ray is made with a decent quality. In a few movies it's even too much as you see the makeup or how cheap certain stuff is done in the background. I don't bother this much about 5.1 sound. I'm sure it sounds great but fiddling around with two speakers already is enough for me.

-=Darkheart=-(Posted 2010) [#7]
You can see the extra visual quality if you look for it, or if you pause the picture but when you are just watching a film and particularly if you didn't know beforehand it's unlikley to make much difference to your experience. When I watch my upscaled DVDs on the same 1080P set I watch blu ray films on I don't notice a big drop in the experience. I haven't replaced any of the DVDs I own with Blu Ray and never intend to, it just doesn't make enough difference.

By contrast I had to do without my 5.1 setup for a week while I had some speaker cable repaired and going back to the stereo speakers on the TV was a very noticeable drop in quality and although the surround isn't a big deal on many titles, you miss it when its not there.

Darkheart