How much should I charge to be a computer teacher?

Community Forums/General Help/How much should I charge to be a computer teacher?

WERDNA(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hey folks!

To get a bit of extra income, I'm putting an ad in the local newspaper. Offering to
teach people the basics of computers, along with setup a website and or blog
for them. Basically to just help those folks who know nothing about computers
get started.

Anyways, I googled around to find out the going rate for a computer teacher guy,
but couldn't find anything other than a horde of ads for how to learn the basics
of computers online. Which really isn't an option for those folks who don't even
know how to turn the darn thing on ;)

How much do you think I should charge?
I really have no clue, lol!

Thanks!

Edit:
I know I've been posting a lot lately on the general discussion forums, so please
forgive me if you think there's a bit too much Werd going around. It's just I have a
lot to post about right now :)

DH(Posted 2010) [#2]
Alright, I hate to chime in as Mr. Negativity however here is my 2 cents:

A. What kind of experience do you have teaching people about computers or the web?
B. What makes you think your an authority on either topics?
C. If they don't know how to turn on the computer (by now) than what makes you think they even want to learn, let alone maintain a blog or website (let alone pay hard earned cash for someone to give them more work to do)?
D. If you believe your of decent authority on the web, why not go to rent-a-coder and post for some side work doing websites/blogs?

DH(Posted 2010) [#3]
To add further:

Many moons ago I was an on-site network consultant (I'd go around to businesses and fix their issues, administration/hardware/you-name-it). My biggest pet peeve was finding that a crack-pot or fly-by-night computer guy was called there first and:
A. Filled their head with whimsical fantasies of what a computer can/cannot do.
B. Half-arsed fixed their crap just to make more work for me to undo what they did and do it properly.

Now they are finally ok with paying me the dollar I'm worth to come in and do it right after they wasted a ton of time and money on said crack-pot/fly-by-night. If they would have done just a small bit of research they would find that doing it right the first time (regardless of cost) would have saved them valuable time AND money in the long run. But no, they had to hire Joe (the accountant's) second cousin BillyRay, who just happens to own a computer himself (oooooowheeeee) and thinks he might know his way around 4 Dell blades (running linux) with an attached 200 gig SAN (this was a while back heh).

What does this mean for you WERDNA? TBH, you can do whatever you please. But for the love of every hard working computer tech, experienced webmaster and any other properly trained professional, please don't be that crack-pot/fly-by-night (please, do it for me).

If you really think your qualified to fill the heads of the ignorant, by all means give it a shot. Just remember that someday, some poor schmuck will have to deprogram them and give them knowledge that comes from many many years in the trenches. I'd hate for your name to be brought up and you loose respect in a community that is usually small (most IT people know hundreds of the other IT people in the area, it comes from corporate outsourcing and us being forced to contract, some contracts lasting from a couple months to a couple years, we get to know a lot of other local IT people who are in the same boat).

Anywho,
Those who don't know how to turn a computer on (in this day in age) really don't want to know (unless they have no exposure to technology, like a 3rd world country or something, in which case I doubt they will be able to pay you). If they don't have a blog, chances are they don't want/need one. If they don't have a website (given the thousands of 'do-it-yourself' website generators out there you get when you pay for hosting which make it as simple as point and click) then I doubt they care.

As for you (I'm sorry, but it's going to be some harsh constructive criticism): Your website doesn't scream "I know what I'm doing in html/javascript/css". The fact that it's hosted by Google sites isn't all that impressive (sure, you could be lacking the funds for proper hosting, in which case you could have just asked someone if they could park it for you. Most of use have oodles of space and not really needing all of it. At least you'd be on a dedicated domain as opposed to using a free service, which would up your credibility). Your PingPong game requires 1gb or more of ram, yet only 70mb of hard drive space? I'm assuming you guessed on the ram requirement? Even with some crazy compression (assuming your decompressing images upon application execution), that's a hell of a ratio. Lastly the fact that your just looking for a quick buck (as you said in the original post) kinda says your going to do anything for that buck, even if your not properly qualified or willing to give it the proper effort.

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#4]
There is a huge range of rates, depending on your target audience, your own level of knowledge/professionality, and what your local market will bear.

In some areas you may be lucky to get minimum wage, while in others you can make pretty decent money.

It's a bit trial and error, really: If you can't find any takers then you're too expensive (and/or your marketing isn't good enough), if you have too much work to handle then your rates are too low. :-?

I'd suggest flipping through the local classified ads, craislist, etc. and see if you can get a feel for what other people offering comparable services are offering. (If you can't find any other PC help, then look how much people are charging for generic tutoring in your area)

WERDNA(Posted 2010) [#5]
@Dark half Good advice, lol.
I'll answer your questions one by one :)

A. What kind of experience do you have teaching people about computers or the web?

A fair chunk. I don't have any kind of official qualifications, but I've helped out a few
friends. And really I'm just talking about the basics here. Setting up a computer, connecting
them to the Internet, and showing them how to navigate around and so some basic
tasks. I'm certainly qualified enough to do that, lol.

Those who don't know how to turn a computer on (in this day in age) really don't want to know

I must disagree. There are a lot of little grandmas out here who want to learn the
computer, but are intimidated by how complex it is. That will probably end up being
my main customer base.

If they don't have a blog, chances are they don't want/need one.

I must disagree with this as well. I know several peoplle who really want a blog,
they just have no clue where to get started.

Same goes for websites ;)

Your website doesn't scream "I know what I'm doing in html/javascript/css".

I don't even know html/javascript/css. I would probably have them use google sites
since it's free, and they don't have to know much about computers. I don't want to
set them up with a website that they won't be able to do anything with without
having to give me a call. I want to teach them to be able to maintain it.

Your PingPong game requires 1gb or more of ram, yet only 70mb of hard drive space? I'm assuming you guessed on the ram requirement?

lol, I spent so many hours on the D*m ram. No guessing involved ;)
And the game is 70MB in size, so I assume that's the correct harddrive space, although
there was a bit of confusion on my end, not knowing exactly what that meant.

Lastly the fact that your just looking for a quick buck (as you said in the original post) kinda says your going to do anything for that buck, even if your not properly qualified or willing to give it the proper effort.

I will always give it the proper effort, and do a good job. If I can't, I won't accept
payment.

@xlsior trial and error is the impression I've gotten after talking with some folks on
BlitzMonkeys. I'll start by charging 20$ per hour, and see where that gets me. I'll
drop it to 15$ if no one shows an interest.

Thanks folks!

slenkar(Posted 2010) [#6]
yeah werdna is offering basic computer help not server maintenance- lol

Blitzplotter(Posted 2010) [#7]
Good luck werdna.

Brucey(Posted 2010) [#8]
although there was a bit of confusion on my end, not knowing exactly what that meant.

And you are going to charge for this knowledge?

DH(Posted 2010) [#9]
My favorite was this:
Me: "Looks like your going to need a new router, this one is toast"
Lady: "Ok, how much is that going to cost?"
Me: "This one is well out of warranty, I'll have to get it on order, have it QuickSilvered here in an hour, program it, and verify it's working with the proper config. $1,200 for the router, $350 for the labor (2 hours of labor and emergency trip charge)"
Lady: "But my nephew says he can get me a router for $60 and put it in for another $20. I think I might give him a call, thanks for your time!"
Me: "Wait, what kind of router is he going to give you?"
Lady: "He said Linksyst or something"
Me: "LinkSys?"
Lady: "Yeah, thats it!"
Me: "Ok, You have a 8 year old failed Cisco router. Your a Credit Union. There are regulations on what can be on your network and what can't (federally mandated). You called me because your tie line is down and your branches cannot communicate, because the router failed and you do not have a backup router on hand (which your supposed to have). If you think that your nephew can give you this $80 dollar solution and in some miraculous way you avoid prison time, then by all means, go with the cheaper and thus obviously better solution. Here is my bill for coming out here, have a good day".
Lady: "No need to get an attitude about it, I was just trying to get a better price. I know we can't plug that type of router in."
<20 min of her asking why she needs a cisco over a cheaper unit, and me explaining encryption, router quality, etc>
Lady: "So is there anyway to get a better price?"
Me: "With the 30 min we just wasted on you haggling a price which is already as low as I can get it, you just spent another $55"

DH(Posted 2010) [#10]
ol, I spent so many hours on the D*m ram. No guessing involved ;)
And the game is 70MB in size, so I assume that's the correct harddrive space, although
there was a bit of confusion on my end, not knowing exactly what that meant.

Bit of a lesson:
Harddrive space is how much your game takes up AFTER it has been installed (using the installer program). The installer does the compression and decompression. If you game takes up 1000% more space in RAM than it does on disk then you should probably double check a few things, or figure out why your wasting so much RAM.

I must disagree. There are a lot of little grandmas out here who want to learn the
computer, but are intimidated by how complex it is. That will probably end up being
my main customer base.

Ok, fair enough. But why not just wash their dishes for them, or mow their lawn? I would think they would value things like that over computer skills any day (and you'd be making the same money). Plus, your more likely to get a referral to their friends.

Leon Brown(Posted 2010) [#11]
Nah, don't be too harsh on Werdna - everyone has to start somewhere. As long as you don't offer to provide services you don't know how to fulfil, then all should be ok.

Hujiklo(Posted 2010) [#12]
Sounds like somebody has a router wedged in the colon.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2010) [#13]
Sounds like somebody has a router wedged in the colon.
Yes, and it's one of those big enterprise class ones.

ShadowTurtle(Posted 2010) [#14]
Dark Half:
As for you (I'm sorry, but it's going to be some harsh constructive criticism): Your website doesn't scream "I know what I'm doing in html/javascript/css".

You have never read one of the (realy) small topics/thread written by WERDNA. The Werdna World Website is only a part of his style. The style is meant to present his funny games (wich are funny), so far i know. The games are creative projects, so far i see.

Dark Half.. the point of the job you are/has/was doing ...
This is a complete mismatch!!!1111elf

WERDNA does follow another points. He is creative in making things wich are creative and makes fun. I think you lost a few things and should learn from WERDNA.

Peoples like WERDNA will never go in working "enterprise" areas. They do more work as creative.

With many years programming & configuring you lost your creativity. It is hard coming back to be creative.

I know this by myself.

@ WERDNA: Do not forget: Money and talking expertise is not all @ world. My lady does make the talk/contract and i do the "quality" (@ weekend :). I think, you need a girlfirend, werdna. ... .. . !

WERDNA(Posted 2010) [#15]
.As long as you don't offer to provide services you don't know how to fulfil, then all should be ok.

And I won't. I'll only offer what I know how to do :)
I'm just offering very basic computer services, lol!

you need a girlfirend, werdna. ... .. . !

Working on it ShadowTurtle. I think I'll have one very soon ^_^

Blitzplotter(Posted 2010) [#16]
Its a funny old world WERDNA, my boss recently gave me the same advice you received about females (despite him being 10 years older than me & we've both got kids roughly the same age).

Anyways, good luck with your teacher-ism, however you may want to consider embarking on some type of degree level qualification if you want to be employed as a teacher type bloke. Easier than being self employed by a country mile.

Yeshu777(Posted 2010) [#17]
Jose, take it all on board.

We've spoken many times but if you feel you have something to offer then go for it, it can't hurt.

Personally, I've no qualifications that are identifiable but have been programming on Z80 / 6809 / 68000 / Coldfire / PC Windows & Linux for the last 16 years.. no one ever told me I could or couldn't do it.. I just did.

Hope those music tracks came in handy :)

Best Regards,

WERDNA(Posted 2010) [#18]
however you may want to consider embarking on some type of degree level qualification if you want to be employed as a teacher type bloke.

I have little interest in being a teacher long term. I am considering going for a degree
in Communications though, so that might help if I change my mind ;)

Personally, I've no qualifications that are identifiable but have been programming on Z80 / 6809 / 68000 / Coldfire / PC Windows & Linux for the last 16 years.. no one ever told me I could or couldn't do it.. I just did.

Thats the path I'm going. Just doing what I wish, and then maybe getting some qualifications
later, lol.

The tracks were invaluable. IF Ping Pong Battle makes much cash, I'll shove a little
bit your way as a thank you ^_^

Naughty Alien(Posted 2010) [#19]
..regarding my experience in such field, if you could get any other opportunity to get $$$, i highly recommend..work with people (teaching) is a nightmare..

Gabriel(Posted 2010) [#20]
Its a funny old world WERDNA, my boss recently gave me the same advice you received about females (despite him being 10 years older than me & we've both got kids roughly the same age).

Your boss told you that you need to get a girlfriend? I can't imagine the wife was too happy about that!

jhocking(Posted 2010) [#21]
I don't have any kind of official qualifications, but I've helped out a few friends. And really I'm just talking about the basics here. Setting up a computer, connecting them to the Internet, and showing them how to navigate around and so some basic tasks. I'm certainly qualified enough to do that, lol.

What you describe here sure sounds a lot like the Geek Squad at Best Buy. I guess my point is that it sounds like what you want is to work for them.

Cheers if you enjoy it, that sounds like torture to me.

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#22]
I used to do all sorts of this sort of think when I was young

Charge them $500 - a $470 promotional discount

Winni(Posted 2010) [#23]
my main customer base.

Yeah, but those grandmas don't want a computer and they certainly don't want to hear any geek language that they don't understand. They just want to use Google and Amazon, look up some nice recipes and show the latest family photos to their friends. That's exactly what Apple designed the iPad for.

dynaman(Posted 2010) [#24]
> What you describe here sure sounds a lot like the Geek Squad at Best Buy. I guess my point is here that it sounds like what you want is to work for them.

No he doesn't, the geek squad gets paid squat for the work they do.

jhocking(Posted 2010) [#25]
Well yeah, that's why I said it sounds like torture to me. I did IT work for a little while (ie. setting up other peoples' computers for a living) and I doubt I'll ever go back to that. I'm just saying if that's the kind of stuff he wants to be paid to do then that's a way to be paid to do it.

Also relevant: A nearby small computer school shut down about a year ago. They were a little corner location running classes on how to use Word, check your email, that kind of thing. Now admittedly I have no idea what kind of overhead they were running (the location itself probably cost a fair bit in rent) but this is the middle of Chicago so if there wasn't enough business for them in the middle of the third largest city in the US then that's probably a bad sign for you.

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#26]
I have seen so many small computer shops close down. They offered an excellent service and good prices on parts. I guess people just like the shiney signs of PC World... People are dumb.

*(Posted 2010) [#27]
WERDNA: One bit of advice. There is nothing such as a small job dealing with computers, if you start teaching people about them they will start asking for things that may or may not be beyond your field of expertise. All these little nuances will eat into your time.

Setting up people on the internet is a good goal but what happens when the router doesnt like the connection or some daft piece of hardware in the computer or there is something on the PC that is stopping it working (yes I have had this one, turned out to be accounting security software stopping access to ANYTHING other than the accounting IP address required). All of this has to be considered as it will all eat into your time at some point or other and looking like a newb in front of someone who your teaching isnt a good thing to be honest.

Yes I do have computer qualifications pertaining to hardware and software engineering.

Just my 0.2 Credits worth.

Dabhand(Posted 2010) [#28]
Under the circumstances, it may be a good idea to set your tuition out like many schools and colleges do... Basically, have a pre-set list of subjects that you are going to wade through with the person, hour by hour... Have this set as a full course and learn it off by heart... It's no good people giving you money then oh'ing and erm'ing through each hour... If you sound confident on what your saying, chances are they'll hang on to your every word.

Make sure its in plain english, and be prepared to explain things in depth without the jargon and be precise.

Dont hog their PC, let them use it, people only ever really learn by doing, so, the closest you want to be getting is by pointing with your finger to the monitor where they should be clicking/reading.

Maybe prepare a handbook for the end of the course that you give to each person that goes through everything you went through with them for future reference.

Basically, try to build your services as a product, with clear outlines of what you are going to do, in one respect, this may help you stop people tripping you up with questions that totally digress on what your doing.

Good luck! :)

Dabz

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#29]
You are all way over thinking this stuff.

I started out doing exactly what WERDNA is suggesting and its a perfectly viable way to enter the "customer service" world. Old people and those with absolutely no knowledge of computers do appreciate having someone with a lower level of "techy" teach them and they are glad to pay a small fee for it. They are not looking for certification, just "how do I..."

WERDNA(Posted 2010) [#30]
they certainly don't want to hear any geek language that they don't understand.

As Dabz suggests, I'll simply make sure it's in plain English. I'm pretty good at describing
computer related things to the common folk ;)

All of this has to be considered as it will all eat into your time at some point or other and looking like a newb in front of someone who your teaching isnt a good thing to be honest.

lol! I certainly hope to avoid that, but I suspect no matter how much research\experience
I have, I'll run into something sooner or later that makes me look bad!

@Dabz
Really good advice!
Should come in handy :)

@Skully
You are all way over thinking this stuff.

I must agree. All I initially wanted was a general price estimate as to what I should
charge. Now it's up to post #30 with no end in sight, LOL!

DH(Posted 2010) [#31]
but this is the middle of Chicago

You still in Chicago? I'm in Milwaukee!

There is nothing such as a small job dealing with computers, if you start teaching people about them they will start asking for things that may or may not be beyond your field of expertise. All these little nuances will eat into your time.

That's right. Just mow their lawn, collect your money, and done!

I started out doing exactly what WERDNA is suggesting and its a perfectly viable way to enter the "customer service" world.

But he said he's just going to do it to earn some extra cash, not start a business around it.

If you just want to make a buck or two, do it the tried and true way. Mow a few lawns, get a paper route, do some contract coding etc.

dynaman(Posted 2010) [#32]
> Now it's up to post #30 with no end in sight, LOL!

If you expected something else, your nuts...

Foppy(Posted 2010) [#33]
If you expected something else, your nuts...

....walnuts?

Just kidding. ;)

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#34]
As usual, xkcd has the answer:

ShadowTurtle(Posted 2010) [#35]
These "congratulations; you're now the local computer expert!"-guys wants fast solution without making researches. They hates researches. They like peoples wich gives fast solution. This is the bad site of the world. There is no more respect about real workers/thinkers. Some peoples does call this "philosophy" or "policy" (at enterprise areas).

I do like xkcd. It gives you a view of that what is.

Foppy: i like walnuts. By the way.. i visited floppygames.nl and think you should teaming with WERDNA. His creativity is realy good.

Jason W.(Posted 2010) [#36]
I thought about charging people, but you have to support what you teach/do. Just offer little tips/advice for free...you will feel better and have more free time.

Jason

WERDNA(Posted 2010) [#37]
Foppy: i like walnuts. By the way.. i visited floppygames.nl and think you should teaming with WERDNA. His creativity is realy good.

I'm a big Foppy fan. Simply put, he does cool stuff :)

Just offer little tips/advice for free...you will feel better and have more free time.

I'd feel even better with a bulging wallet ;)

Cheers folks!

Chroma(Posted 2010) [#38]
Jhocking nailed it. Go put in an application at Bestbuy for the geeksquad. I'm serious. Work there for a year and then go freelancing. Do some online courses in the meantime (www.w3schools.com). Get some certificates.

And don't mind the negativity on your post about offering computer services. I received a similar response when I posted about retiring and starting up a game studio. I've since reconsidered and will stay in a few more years. That move for me was too sketchy and I like the money too much. If I still have the coding passion at that time, that's when I'll do it. But lately I've been VERY interested in printing tshirts. Much easier to do in my spare time. DTG printers are pretty cool. :)