Installing latest update?

Community Forums/General Help/Installing latest update?

Blitzplotter(Posted 2010) [#1]
For BMax that is. On my main machine I am running BMax 1.39,with MinGW installed.

I note that all updates must be applied to a virgin 1.18 install. If I uninstall BMax, re-install 1.18 & then apply 1.41 will the path to my MinGW on my main computer still be there?

If it isn't its probably a quick step to point the BMax IDE in the direction of MinGW, just wondering thats all.

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#2]
The updates are all incremental -- you can install 1.41 on top of 1.39 without problems, no need to downgrade to 1.18 first.

If you already have MinGW installed and working, it will continue to work after the upgrade.

jsp(Posted 2010) [#3]
You don't need 1.18 at all, all updates from 1.30 and later are full installers.
I just choose a new folder and install the new version, have a lot of versions in parallel, that's sometimes very useful.
MingW will not be touched as xlsior said.

markcw(Posted 2010) [#4]
As jsp pointed out, updates to 1.18 are only from 1.20 to 1.28, from 1.30 upwards they are full installs and should not be installed over an older version as it may break something and leave you wondering why it's not working.

I like to keep all my own code in a top level folder so when I want to update all I do is rename the older BlitzMax folder, install the new one and then drag and drop my own folder and any third party mods I have over and that's it. I used to save stuff in 'src' or 'samples' but then I ended up deleting my own code a few times when updating. Of course you can keep your own code outside of BlitzMax too if you prefer.

therevills(Posted 2010) [#5]
I normally install them in different folders since 1.30:

c:\BlitzMax
\1.30
\1.39
\1.41

etc...

And Blide makes it easy to switch between them...

Brucey(Posted 2010) [#6]
A version of BlitzMax on my boxes takes up 6gig...

*sniff*

Of course, I only have myself to blame...

Blitzplotter(Posted 2010) [#7]
@therevills & jsp - thats a neat way to address it! Although I'm not using Blide.