Cloud Server vs Dedicated Server

Community Forums/General Help/Cloud Server vs Dedicated Server

Retimer(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hey folks,

So i've been renting dedicated servers for years to run my game-server software/webhosting, for $140 up to $250/month.

This kind of cost is a bit of a dip into my pockets that i'de like to lower.

I've noticed some hosts provide Cloud Servers, for a much lower price for basically the same thing.

I spoke with a gentlemen at tech support who said there really isn't any difference in terms of stability/performance, that the only thing shared is disk i/o.

I beg, if anyone knows, if I switch from a dedicated server to a cloud server, is there anything I should be aware of, risks, potential restrictions,performance issues, etc? I can't simply trust tech support at a hosting company who isn't allowed to talk a little 'dirty' to me on technical issues with such services.

Huge thanks to any responses,

Time

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#2]
One potential catch: you say you're running a game server -- is latency important to you?

In a cloud environment there's more elaborate routing going on, which means that you could potentially add some extra latency into the mix...

Retimer(Posted 2010) [#3]
Latency is very important.

All I was looking for, the catch, thanks XL! :)

Zethrax(Posted 2010) [#4]
The best approach would probably be to set up a test server and see for yourself. Most cloud hosts will allow you to provision and unprovision servers on the fly.

One cloud host that I'm planning on using in the future is http://www.rackspacecloud.com/ .

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#5]
All I was looking for, the catch, thanks XL! :)

But actually with cloud computing (I assume you actually mean virtual servers?) you can scale better since they can add more processing power as required... they could even go so far as to add on demand and automatically throttle back during low tide ;)