Anyone Dutch?

Community Forums/General Help/Anyone Dutch?

Sledge(Posted 2010) [#1]
I'm localising a product for the Netherlands and my translator is a bit stumped as to what "Wave Clear!" should be (don't think he's much of a gamer). Any suggestions?

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#2]
Google says "golf duidelijke"

big10p(Posted 2010) [#3]
Do not listen to Google translator!

Sledge(Posted 2010) [#4]
Google says "golf duidelijke"
BabelFish disagrees on the grammar, and try translating the output from each back into Dutch to see why using these things is an insult to the territory being addressed! :D Nice try, but it requires a native speaker to give a definitive answer.

Jim Teeuwen(Posted 2010) [#5]
This is trickier than it seems. We don't really have a direct translation that makes sense in the intended context.

The closest thing would be "Level compleet" which means 'Level complete".
"Golf compleet" could also work if you want the 'wave' bit in there, but to be honest, it sounds a little strange and will most likely not be acceptable.

For the record, 'duidelijk' means 'clear', but in a different context: "His explanation was crystal clear". Which is obviously not what you need.

edit: The truth is that we borrow most computer related terms directly from English. I think that 'Wave Clear' is more easily accepted than any awkward Dutch translation.

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#6]
Do not listen to Google translator!

I didn't, I read it... nyuk nyuk

Anyway... ya thats pretty bad..

Wave Clear > golf duidelijke
golf duidelijke > Golf Clear

LOL

"There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. " - Austin Power's fahza.

Sledge(Posted 2010) [#7]
I think "Level compleet" should be near enough, cheers Jim. Want me to bung you in the credits?

Edit:
edit: The truth is that we borrow most computer related terms directly from English. I think that 'Wave Clear' is more easily accepted than any awkward Dutch translation.
Ah, really? As long as it's not going to offend then I may go with that.

Jim Teeuwen(Posted 2010) [#8]
I think "Level compleet" should be near enough, cheers Jim. Want me to bung you in the credits?

No need, I didn't invent the language :)

Ah, really? As long as it's not going to offend then I may go with that.

It won't offend anyone.

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#9]
A literal translation of wave is 'golf', but very few people would associate that word with an attack wave in Dutch.
If anything, you'd say something like 'aanval over' (attack over)

But like Jim said, modern Dutch borrows a LOT of phrases directly from English, so I doubt anyone would have difficulty understanding 'wave clear' if you use it as-is.
(Case in point: about half the population runs the English version of windows on their PC, despite there being a Dutch release as well)