Performance issue with new SSD drive

Community Forums/General Help/Performance issue with new SSD drive

andy_mc(Posted 2010) [#1]
I've got my new Ocz Vertex2 SSD drive, it should give me speeds up to 285mb/sec read and 275mb/sec writes. But I'm seeing maximum read speeds of around 260 and write speeds around 120. Also the line graph in HD Tune for reading looks like the rockies mountain range!!! SSD drives should give a smooth graph.

Two things I think it might be...
1) I used Acronis to clone my existing drive across to the new one, it had some extra partitions that Acer had added for system recovery and such but Acronis put the offset of the first partition at 31kb, which is not aligned, this can have a performance impact.

2) Maybe I've got the wrong sata device controller driver, I've got an Intel ich9 controller, which is meant to be fine for giving full speed results with this drive.

My system specs are fine, 4gb RAM, Intel T6600 processor, nvidia 240m gfx card.

I'm downloading a windows 7 iso image to try doing a fresh install of Windows tonight, it's meant to automatically align the drive correctly, will then update all drivers and run the benchmark again.

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#2]
Keyword: "Up to" ?

Anyway: Do you also use this same drive/partition to store your windows swap file? Are your benchmark results any better if you (temporarily) disable this?

andy_mc(Posted 2010) [#3]
I'm basing my expectations on all the seperate reviews and user reviews all over the web. so it's not impossible and I'll know tonight whether a fresh install solves the problem.

Haven't tried it without the swap file, that will be a bit of an issue though as you do need a swap file and I'll only have the SSD drive on the system.

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#4]
A fresh install very well could make a difference, since there *are* some special accomodations that Windows makes for running on SSD devices.

andy_mc(Posted 2010) [#5]
HOLY MOTHER OF S@#T!!! I did a fresh install of windows 7 and updated all teh system drivers. I'm now getting up to 280mb/sec read speed and 270mb/sec write speed, this thing flies!!!! It's over five times faster than my old 5400rpm drive.

Portal takes about ten seconds to get to the menu from clicking it in steam, then about five seconds to load into a saved game. Modern warefare 2 loads so much faster now too.

Matty(Posted 2010) [#6]

Portal takes about ten seconds to get to the menu from clicking it in steam, then about five seconds to load into a saved game. Modern warefare 2 loads so much faster now too

Slightly off topic:

I remember the old days with my IBM XT in the late 80s, being able to measure the 'load time' in minutes on some games..

TaskMaster(Posted 2010) [#7]
Bah, on my Vic-20 with cassette drive, a game could take 20 minutes or more to load.

Matty(Posted 2010) [#8]
Cassette drive....luxury, we had to load the punched cards into the card feeder, and if we were lucky we wouldn't have to replace any of the vacuum tubes....

Young people of today, they just don't understand...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

Adam Novagen(Posted 2010) [#9]
On the other end of the scale, I miss the old console games like those on the Genesis, wherein if it took more than 2 seconds to load ANYTHING, it was probably faulty. XD

TaskMaster(Posted 2010) [#10]
HA, Matty. There was a card reader/punch on the equipment I was the technician for when I was in the Army. Each card was either 80 or 132 bytes. A program could be 10000 cards and took a long time to load.