Java Web Start app no longer working

Community Forums/General Help/Java Web Start app no longer working

big10p(Posted 2010) [#1]
I've been playing Cribbage online recently - which is a Java app - and now it's suddenly stopped working. After clicking the link, there's a short download and then... nothing. In Task Manager, there is a javaws.exe process but it seems to have hung - it's using 0 CPU cycles.

I've tried running other Java Web Start apps and I get the same result, both in FireFox and IE. I've reinstalled Java twice now (once using the Windows uninstaller and once using Revo Uninstaller to make sure everything is removed) but still no joy.

I've tried Googling a fix but can't find anything. Anyone got any ideas about this? I know nothing about Java, myself.

markcw(Posted 2010) [#2]
Sounds like either you accidentally disabled java somewhere or your pc got infected. Did you solve this yet?

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#3]
- What web browser are you using?
- Have you tried using a different one, just to see if the problem persists there as well?

big10p(Posted 2010) [#4]
No, not solved yet. I gave up, TBH.

I've checked Java is enabled everywhere I can find. As I say, doesn't work in IE of FF, so looks like something's borked with the install, somehow.

The test page on the Java website claims Java is installed correctly.

I've done a full virus/malmware scan and found nothing.

big10p(Posted 2010) [#5]
Also, in FF, nothing happens when I select Tools->Java Console.

Something's ovbiously intrinsically buggered if a clean install doesn't put it right.

/me shrugs

markcw(Posted 2010) [#6]
Well some other users are having the same problem.
http://www.games.com/game/cribbage/

The comment by 'ldyeire' says he fixed it by "reloading java", whatever that means. Maybe try installing another version of java.

The game says it needs cookies and javascript. Do you have either of those disabled?

big10p(Posted 2010) [#7]
The version of Cribbage I was playing was at ecribbage.com.

I expect the user you mentioned is refering to reinstalling Java, which I've tried several times. Not sure the Java website will let me install an older version. I'm pretty sure the latest version was working fine before, too.

I do have JavaScript and cookies enabled.

I'm really out of ideas on this one, TBH. Thanks for taking the time to look into it, though. ;)