windows reset my account!?!

Community Forums/General Help/windows reset my account!?!

Nate the Great(Posted 2010) [#1]
well I have a laptop which I am using as a desktop for now because of its lack of battery life with vista on it which I have never had major problems with that were the computers fault and not mine so it has always been pretty stable. Last night I left my computer open and went away for a few hours.. I came back and it looked like someone had restarted it. I assumed some cord had jiggled and shut off the power for a second or two, enough to cause it to restart. Anyway I log in and bam my computer acts brand new like I just got it out of the box, nothing anywhere except all my games and installable stuff are still installed but all my programs stored in documents/programming were gone!!!! in fact nothing is left but things in the program files folder. Good thing I back up some projects on my external hd but I didnt have everything on there and its very depressing seeing all of my work gone and it wasnt like I just forgot to save of something minor... the files are just gone... I did an hd test and it seemed good. Also I restarted again and a file I had saved after it had reset in my documents was gone and this time I saw a message that said windows couldnt retrieve my accont data. Does anyone know what this means or how to fix it? I googled but couldnt find any answers.

GfK(Posted 2010) [#2]
Silly question but have you tried shutting it down and restarting it?

Heard of user accounts getting lost before but I can't remember the routine you have to do to get them back...

Nate the Great(Posted 2010) [#3]
yeah, thats the first thing I do every time something happens and it usually fixes it. Ive even tried simply cutting power but that obviously doesnt help and is more out of frusturation. I am sure my files are still on the hd somewhere but I have no idea how to get to them.

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#4]
Strangely enough my windows vista installation is now telling me I'm not genuine even though I've a sticker on the back of my laptop with my serial...

nice.. Only had this laptop for 2.5 years

BlitzSupport(Posted 2010) [#5]
If your 'new' account is an administrator account you should at least be able to see all files.

On Vista/7, assuming all your stuff is on one drive, you should be able to get into C:\Users (assuming C: is your boot drive) and find all user accounts/folders/files in there.

Also, try this:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Nate the Great(Posted 2010) [#6]
thanks blitz support! its working slowly but surely