Good Website Building Tools?

Community Forums/General Help/Good Website Building Tools?

-=Darkheart=-(Posted 2010) [#1]
Last time I really did any significant website building myself was ages ago and then as back in '94 I got away with creating most of what I wanted in wordpad and then just sticking some html and basic php together.

This time I want to do something a bit more significant and I'm wondering what the best tools are for someone like me who is pretty much a newbie to modern web development.

My requirements for the site I want to build are:

Registered Users can upload files (with limits on individual file sizes and total space used).

Users will be storing metadata with the files, which must be searchable.

All Users can download files.

It must be possible to search all uploaded files by all items of meta data.

I want total control of the look and feel of the site.

Resources available: Apache Web Server with PERL, PHP SendMail and MySQL

Ideally I want something with a WYSWIG interface, and I want it to cost less than £150. I would like something with a relatively mild learning curve, I don't really want to learn another programming language.

What are my options?

Darkheart

GfK(Posted 2010) [#2]
If you hadn't said "WYSIWYG", I'd have said Notepad++.

If you hadn't said "cost less than £150", I'd have said Dreamweaver.

Actually I'd still go for Notepad++ and WAMPServer. And possibly Joomla.

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2010) [#3]
I use Visual Web Developer Express, its free.

Amanda Dearheart(Posted 2010) [#4]
I'm sold on Serif WebPlus x4.
I haven't used it that much, but I tried the older version PagePlus 7 to build a website. And this was after I had tried Visual Web Developer, HomesiteX, Print Shop, and notepad.

WebPlus x4 can be found at www.Serif.com and costs about 99 british pounds. (Sorry my american keyboard doesn't have the L shaped British pound symbol. I know it is in the ascii table, but I don't have the time to look it up or the skills to print it at the moment.) (Makes me wonder though if UK keyboards have that symbol!)

Mystik(Posted 2010) [#5]
http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/index.html

-=Darkheart=-(Posted 2010) [#6]
Thanks for the suggestions!

Darkheart

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#7]
webs.com

Check out mine below.. took me an hour to set up + some copy/paste time for content.

You can pay some small amount to have the banner removed and to register your domain.. have email and all that. It has forums, calendar controls, wiki, etc.

Web site building is really on its last legs as far as traditional site building businesses goes anyway.. its all CMS now. But, that just makes it faster to set up.

Happy Sammy(Posted 2010) [#8]
(bookmarked)