Website coding: Where to start?

Community Forums/General Help/Website coding: Where to start?

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hey guys. I know there are some pretty good website programmer/designers around here. I'm wondering where to start though.

Learn basic html, css, php, asp... etc etc

What do you need to learn these days? This isn't for work, or a company, but I'd like to be able to set up a website, with some decent functionality, and learn more about web programming in general.

maximo(Posted 2010) [#2]
Are you living under stone? Learn all that so you can code your own site and spend 6 months building it, if its not for work or a company or you needing to learn new skills so you can get job, just download and learn wordpress.org

Today you use CMS if you are smart, and wordpress is one of the best CMS and easiest to learn. You can install it and have a beautiful site running in less then 5 minutes. Just download some beautiful themes for wordpress, and there are for all kind of sites be it personal, blog, corporate, etc. Then modify or extend your theme with minimal knowledge of html, css and php.

Need extra functionality that wordpress does not come with, just search through its million plugins database. Still cant find what you need, then by a good book and learn php and then write the plugin your self but thats not recomended for absolute beginner since its hard and time consuming, and you need to really be good at php to do this ;)

Thats my advice and it will save you lots of time ;)

Oddball(Posted 2010) [#3]
Try: http://www.w3schools.com/

It has plenty of tutorials and examples and is very straight forward.

degac(Posted 2010) [#4]
Learning to programming (in php+mysql, javascript, html,asp etc) is quite different than using Wordpress (or any other 'pre-made' prodcuts).
So Ross starts with HTML, JAVASCRIPT and PHP (they are the 'fundamentals' of modern web-site, the net is full of tutorials!
PS: you need a 'local' server to start to make something interesting (without the need of a 'real and remote' server), have a look to Apache.
Cheers

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#5]
Thanks guys. I don't want to use Wordpress, as I don't really learn anything from it. I'd like to be able to code them. I don't really care if it will take me ages, it's just something i want to learn :)

Sauer(Posted 2010) [#6]
If you know C/C++ PHP is a breeze. I find PHP to be the most useful web language, and with a solid understanding of CSS you can do just about anything with a website functionally and aesthetically.

Also, I second www.w3schools.com. Although it won't take you too far in depth, its definitely the perfect place to start for beginning to learn.

maximo(Posted 2010) [#7]
ok if you really want to code it your self, and want to code in php then use php framework, save your self headache and countless hours, professionals are doing it so why not you?

I've used this one to build an web application, I built something in a week for a local bussiness.

look it up, see the video, it speeds up your development and you are still coding in php

http://codeigniter.com/

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#8]
Start with static HTML, then add CSS, then go towards dynamic code with a scripting language like PHP or ASP...

therevills(Posted 2010) [#9]
What about Jave EE using Struts/Spring frameworks etc?

And if you want to have some fun try GWT (Google WebToolkit) for your front end ;)

Sauer(Posted 2010) [#10]
@maximo, thanks for the Code Igniter tip

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#11]
@maximo, I appreciate the tips, but I'm really doing this as a learning experience. I have plenty of time on my hands, and I really want to learn this stuff, regardless of time and frustration.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the help!

Serpent(Posted 2010) [#12]
I agree with xlsior. First of all you should get to know the structure of just plain old, static html. Then, learn about CSS. Then try basic things with a scripting language like javascript. Finally, you can learn PHP. PHP script is run by the server, so it's useful for retrieving info from databases, etc (like in forums), but for most simple websites without database functionality you won't need it.