Any good photography forums?

Community Forums/General Help/Any good photography forums?

GfK(Posted 2010) [#1]
I used to be into photography but the Fuji S5100 I had was very limited and I kind of got bored with it as a hobby. I've just picked up a brand new digital SLR.

Anyhoo... I used to go on a photography forum before but I don't want to use it any more because they have a resident idiot who seems impervious to the site rules and I *think* I might have flailed him in the past (I'm not banned though - quit through choice, but he's still there).

Anybody recommend any decent photography forums (preferably UK-based)?

JBR(Posted 2010) [#2]
www.dpreview.com

It is not UK based but some good guys on it.

What camera did you get?

Jim

GfK(Posted 2010) [#3]
Its a Canon EOS 450D. :)

Forum looks OK but I really wanted a UK based one as its members are more likely to be taking photos of things/places I can relate to. :)

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#4]
Nice one man. Tis a good camera! You thought about joining a local camera club? Sounds a bit geeky, but it's nice to get tips from people around you.

GfK(Posted 2010) [#5]
Nice one man. Tis a good camera!
Yep, love it and the 75-300mm lens is awesome. Went down to RAF Coningsby today and got some cracking shots of Eurofighter Typhoons, plus a Spitfire - there's only a handful in the UK that are still capable of flight. The Lancaster flies around here, too, but its proven a bit elusive so far. One day...!

You thought about joining a local camera club? Sounds a bit geeky, but it's nice to get tips from people around you.
I hadn't actually! I remember seeing something about a camera club in the local village hall - I'll look into that!

therevills(Posted 2010) [#6]
got some cracking shots of Eurofighter Typhoons, plus a Spitfire

Care to share your shots Dave?

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#7]
Nice!

Care to share your shots Dave?

Yeah please. I'm thinking of getting a telephoto lens. They are relatively cheap for a Cannon one, and it gets you closer to the action. After a while, I found myself wanting to get closer to the action, without... actually getting closer :)

GfK(Posted 2010) [#8]
K, these are downsized for posting (originals are 12Mpx):

Eurofighter Typhoon flypast

Hello!

Ready for take off!

Spitfire flypast (I accidentally weed a bit upon hearing/seeing this)

This particular plane entered service in 1945 (just after WWII) and was only ever used for reconnaissance missions. The last time it flew in active service was 1954.

Just landed

You can get quite close to the taxiway!

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#9]
Man, they are good shots. Especially the closeup of the pilot.

big10p(Posted 2010) [#10]
Spitfire flypast (I accidentally weed a bit upon hearing/seeing this)
You're not alone, there. It is an awesome sight/sound to behold.

Charrua(Posted 2010) [#11]
nice shots!

just curious, i recently got a Canon SX20 and i like to know how good/bad is it. I'm not a hobbyst but i taken some shots in the past and wanted to move one step further.

thank's

Juan

GfK(Posted 2010) [#12]
Haven't used one but Canon Powershots are generally really good. The key point is that although they have a lot of features they're still classed as a 'compact'.

Like I said, I haven't used one but what I do know is that if you were to get a DSLR, you'll have to pay a hell of a lot of money to get anywhere near 560mm zoom. Depending on your preferred medium this might or might not be important.

Charrua(Posted 2010) [#13]
thank's

surely i never shot an airplane frozen and in focus, even with a good camera, and i decided to get a Point and shot camera with the posibility or manual operation (in case i'll learn how to).
Also it has 20x zoom and video recording and i thought that for familiar meetings and the like is good enough.

Juan

Brucey(Posted 2010) [#14]
K, these are downsized for posting (originals are 12Mpx)...

Very nice :-)
I was a Fairford last month and shot 1000 pics before I ran out of memory! :-(
Just got a 32gig sdhc card now so that'll give me 3000 total capacity before I run out next time! Pah....

therevills(Posted 2010) [#15]
Cool shots Dave.

I remember when we were kids our parents use to take us to an airshow, it was great - I remember the helicopters landing and blowing sand etc at everyone - lol.

Cant remember where it was though... must have been somewhere close to Sheffield as the car trip didnt take long...

GfK(Posted 2010) [#16]
I remember when we were kids our parents use to take us to an airshow, it was great - I remember the helicopters landing and blowing sand etc at everyone - lol.

Cant remember where it was though... must have been somewhere close to Sheffield as the car trip didnt take long...
That would have been RAF Finningley near Doncaster. Went there myself many times as a kid as it was just up the road.

Finningley was disused for years, until 2005 when it opened as Robin Hood International Airport. Longest runway in Europe, don't you know.

Just got a 32gig sdhc card now so that'll give me 3000 total capacity before I run out next time! Pah....
You shooting raw? What gear you using?

For taking most of the plane shots, I whack the autofocus into AI Servo mode, and put it on continuous shoot. That way I've a better chance of a decent shot - the downside is that it takes a colossal amount of card space. I took 220 photos at Coningsby in less than two hours!

Brucey(Posted 2010) [#17]
You shooting raw?

I can't imagine a good reason why anyone wouldn't want to, especially if you want to post-process your photos later.

What gear you using?

Panasonic GF1.

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#18]
The cannon camera you got Gfk, comes with an excellent RAW studio software.

JBR(Posted 2010) [#19]
Digital Photo Professional is included with your camera and will process your RAW files.

RAW files are bigger than JPEGs, so you will need a bigger memory card. www.mymemory.co.uk are petty good.

Good thing about RAW files is that you are working with the data straight out of the sensor.

Jim

EOF(Posted 2010) [#20]
I knew a colleague at work who had a Canon EOS 450 (or similar) and he was using a certain technique to produce really nice results. Some kind of process which involved taking 3 images and combining them together but I don't know what it was:

GfK(Posted 2010) [#21]
That'll be HDR (high dynamic range).

You basically take two or more photos (or create them from RAW data), with the exposure set for various parts of the picture. Its usually done with two pictures - one exposed for foreground, one exposed for sky. You then blend those 'exposed' bits together into a single image using something like Photomatix.

Examples here.

Brucey(Posted 2010) [#22]
Photomatix is cool. Also works as a plugin for Aperture :-)

GfK(Posted 2010) [#23]
is Aperture any better than Lightroom?

_PJ_(Posted 2010) [#24]
is Aperture any better than Lightroom?

Well,

They do what they must because they can... for the good of all of us

except the ones who are dead."

(sorry, couldn't resist)

GfK(Posted 2010) [#25]
Well,

They do what they must because they can... for the good of all of us

except the ones who are dead."

(sorry, couldn't resist)

.......no idea, sorry.

Brucey(Posted 2010) [#26]
Dunno... I guess it's a gaming reference... http://www.aperturescience.com

Brucey(Posted 2010) [#27]
As for a comparison to Lightroom... I expect, for the money, you get more with Lightroom.. but for me, Aperture does everything I need from it... nice library/cataloging system, easy to add metadata/tags, good post-processing utils...

Nice that there's choice of course. And lots of people prefer Adobe's style of UI.

_PJ_(Posted 2010) [#28]
.......no idea, sorry.

It was from Portal, some of the lyrics from the 'end credits' song. Aperture Science is the name of the company that created the 'Portal Gun' and the AI computer that controls the environment in the game :)