BlitzBasic like networking in c++?

Community Forums/General Help/BlitzBasic like networking in c++?

FreetimeCoder(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hi,

I know this might be a little bold, but I am currently looking around for libraries to setup networking in a c++ programm, but so far they all were lacking something here or there.
So I remembered back to my biltzbasic experience with networking. I liked the way blitz would let me handle it.

Does anyone know if such library exists? Or something similar?
(I often found udp-only or tcp unfriendly libs)

greetings

markcw(Posted 2010) [#2]
For BlitzMax I believe the most stable is either Gnet or Raknet.

Here is Brucey's Raknet svn.

Here's some good topics:
Online and Network Tutorials
Gnet(Enet) only for UDP?
GNet or TNet
Socket Programming
Networking problems (bNet)

For Blitz3D (and BlitzMax) there is Kurix/RepeatUntil/Jimon's RakNet wrapper:
RakNet wrapper site
RakNet Wrapper 0.5 Released

FreetimeCoder(Posted 2010) [#3]
Hi,

well thanks for the lot of topics, but that was not what I asked for. I want networking _like_ blitz not with blitz. I want to use it with c++
Also I somehow don't trust that "reliable udp" thing :D

greetings

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#4]
Also I somehow don't trust that "reliable udp" thing :D

Reliable UDP can definitely be done -- the actual native protocol itself doesn't account for it (unlike TCP), but you can implement a system on top of that still gives you similar functionality. More work for the (library) programmer, though.

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#5]
the difference is that TCP will actually pause waiting for the reply in the session whereas UDP is fire and forget. Implementing a reliability system is not that complex.

Czar Flavius(Posted 2010) [#6]
I use to be an anti-UDPer like you but I can tell you now, I am 100% satisfied with Raknet's reliable UDP. It is 100000 times better than all the poor attempts at TCP I made previously. And it's used for an RTS too, so order is important.

FreetimeCoder(Posted 2010) [#7]
Thanks for the replies, sounds worth a try ;)

One last question, when I use udp can I still download from http servers? Is there a workaround or would I have to implement tcp for that with a different lib?

greetings

FreetimeCoder(Posted 2010) [#8]
Hey again,

I use enet now and I can use http with
ENetSocket s = enet_socket_create(ENET_SOCKET_TYPE_STREAM);
and send and receive about the same way like in blitz

greetings

*(Posted 2010) [#9]
FreetimeCoder: great find there i didnt know ENet existed till i saw your post, thanks :)