Decent mail client for Mac

Community Forums/General Help/Decent mail client for Mac

GfK(Posted 2010) [#1]
I'm currently using Thunderbird (because I use the PC version too and that's OK).

The problem with the Mac version, is that it insists on showing the message preview pane - which I am constantly turning off but every time I got into Thunderbird, its back. It will not turn off and STAY off! Much googling reveals this bug (which is a nasty one IMHO) has been there for at least several versions.

So... if they won't fix it, I'll use something else. but what?

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#2]
What is wrong with the default OS X email client?

GfK(Posted 2010) [#3]
There's nothing specific I don't like about it... for some reason I just don't get along with it.

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#4]
Sylpheed has a Mac version:

http://sylpheed.sraoss.jp/en/

Brucey(Posted 2010) [#5]
The problem with the Mac version, is that it insists on showing the message preview pane

Funny that... I've found the latest version does this on Windows too - but if you can tell me how to turn it off on Windows, I imagine you could use the same process to do it on Mac...

N(Posted 2010) [#6]
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=571631

It's apparently a known bug.

D4NM4N(Posted 2010) [#7]
Why don't you like the preview pane? The amount of spam I get, it would drive me even more mad if I could not see what was in it before opening :)

GfK(Posted 2010) [#8]
Two reasons.

First, I don't even open emails if its clearly spam. 99.99% of them are obvious.

Second, I use IMAP, which only downloads message headers (unless the preview pane is open, then it needs to download the whole message).

D4NM4N(Posted 2010) [#9]
Ahh I understand, it is better where bandwidth is an issue.

GfK(Posted 2010) [#10]
Thunderbird just updated itself to 3.1.1. The preview pane bug is still there. :/

N(Posted 2010) [#11]
I think you'd be better off just using the regular Mail app.

Brucey(Posted 2010) [#12]
The latest Windows version seems to be fixed at last... dunno what the version number was when it updated last.

GfK(Posted 2010) [#13]
Yeah I think Thunderbird is going the way of Firefox. I.e. OK at first but the more they 'improve' it, the worse it seems to get.

taumel(Posted 2010) [#14]
OSX Mail client is pretty good in my opinion, more as it nicely works together with the iPhone, the preview...

GfK(Posted 2010) [#15]
The latest Windows version seems to be fixed at last

<micro-rant>
The sodding thing is STILL doing this in Thunderbird 3.1.2.

Even the PC version is still doing it occasionally. I've switched over to using Mail in OSX. Looks like I'm going to have to find a PC alternative as well. Outlook Express, maybe. Or just go back to paper and postage stamps. Anything's better than this piece of junk!
</micro-rant>

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#16]
Outlook Express, maybe.
Can you even install that on modern versions of Windows?

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#17]
Don't think so... But "windows mail" (vista) and windows live mail (Windows 7) are fairly similar to Outlook Express.