how to turn a bunch of images into a video

Community Forums/General Help/how to turn a bunch of images into a video

Nate the Great(Posted 2010) [#1]
So I have all the frames of a video as pictures (hundreds of them taking up a lot of space), how can I turn those into smooth video.. I tried movie maker but it doesnt allow the images to display for a short enough time to be smooth. I also heard it could be done in blender but I dont know how to do that.

Zethrax(Posted 2010) [#2]
Hi, I found a number of possibly useful links using the Google search below.

http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=how+to+convert+images+into+video&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Nate the Great(Posted 2010) [#3]
thanks, I found a good one by adding blender to the end of that search...

now I need to convert avi to mpeg but all the stuff I try has viruses or you have to buy, I used to have a free, watermark free video converter before my HD crashed last year

Matty(Posted 2010) [#4]
What about virtualDUB?

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#5]
oops

Nate the Great(Posted 2010) [#6]
thanks matty, ill try it

edit: virtual dub doesnt do mpeg :(

Yan(Posted 2010) [#7]
Blender is capable of producing video using a variety of compression standards in varied container formats directly.

If you provide more details of exactly what it is you're trying to produce, I could probably be more helpful.

Nate the Great(Posted 2010) [#8]
@Yan

I have a bunch of .png images numbered from 1 to 100, I also was able to make them into a .avi with virtual dub but now I do not know how to convert either of those into a .mpeg if I could do it directly from the images that would be great but converting the .avi would be fine too.

Yan(Posted 2010) [#9]
I've prepared this blend for you (piccy) that will convert a sequence of images into an MPEG1 file (.mpg) using the compositor.

You'll need Blender 2.5 to use it and you can download a recent Win32 build here.

Load the blend and...
Point the image node to the first image in your sequence.

On the right hand properties panel, set the required 'resolution' and make sure that 'output' is set to the desired file path and name.

Hit the 'animation' button.

Did you really want MPEG1? It's pretty long in the tooth nowadays and there are much better codecs about.

[edit]
I used the compositor rather than the VSE because I thinks it's less confusing if you're not familiar with Blender.

If you want to add fades or transitions, it'd be easier to use the VSE.
[/edit]

Nate the Great(Posted 2010) [#10]
@Yan, unfortunately it does need to be mpeg1 .mpg Thanks for the tips, ill try it out!