Mac Networking

Community Forums/General Help/Mac Networking

GfK(Posted 2010) [#1]
I'm just watching some Mac tutorials on the apple site for familiarisation. Two videos I've seen so far, state that in addition to a wifi-enabled Mac I also need to buy an AirPort Base Station for internet access.

...so as I see it, paying a small fortune for a Mac is not enough if I want to actually use it. I need to pay another £80+ for extra bits of hardware?

Why can't a Mac connect to a standard router? Or can it? Apple seem to say that it can't!

therevills(Posted 2010) [#2]
Ive got our Mac Mini with Wi-Fi connected to our standard Billion Router (also with a old Dynalink one too)... just point the Mac Wi-Fi to your network and Bob's your uncle... Internet straight away.

Networking between Windows (XP and 7) and Mac was very easy - only gotchas to watch out for I found was:

* You need to have a guest account on the Mac
* When you copy files from Windows to Mac they will become read-only for some reason...

GfK(Posted 2010) [#3]
What do you need a guest account for?

Its no biggie, I'm sure - just wondering.

ShadowTurtle(Posted 2010) [#4]
GfK: The guest account will be automatic generated (or you become a tutorial) if you plugin "AirPort Base Station for internet access". It is a service from apple.. i mean.. you had pay £80+, so it must be a service!

GfK(Posted 2010) [#5]
GfK: The guest account will be automatic generated (or you become a tutorial) if you plugin "AirPort Base Station for internet access". It is a service from apple.. i mean.. you had pay £80+, so it must be a service!
....sorry, I have no idea what you just said.

jkrankie(Posted 2010) [#6]
You do not need any other hardware if you've already got a wireless router.

Cheers
Charlie

therevills(Posted 2010) [#7]
The guest account is so that Windows can connect to the Mac to read and write files.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2010) [#8]
nah i use my 4 year old wireless belkin router. Your macbook will find any unprotected router within its range and attempt to connect :P

Yan(Posted 2010) [#9]
You'll need a signed letter of consent from 'stable' Steve before allowing any precious apple hardware sully itself by having contact with, non sparkly white, nasty 'outsider' hardware.

All non conforming software and hardware should be herded into 'Not Magical Nor Revolutionary' cubicles and set to task doing the most menial and mundane computing jobs. Even that's too good for 'em, some say.

[edit]
Oh yeah, I forgot...

Grrr...Shakes fist at Steve Jobs effigy.
[/edit]