Zune help

Community Forums/General Help/Zune help

Oiduts Studios(Posted 2010) [#1]
Well I got a Zune today for my birthday thinking that it was going to be a breeze and I could just use Windows explorer to drag music and videos onto the thing, unlike the Ipod. I seemed to be very wrong because there is no way to do that...The real problem is is that I finally got the thing to turn on and hook up to my computer. I couldn't download the software from Microsoft because I can't seem to be able to download anything from there, I found it on another website. Did some stuff and then it said that I needed to update my Zune but I couldn't because a server is down or my internet is screwed up or something, it's not.. So as i am ready to throw the thing out the window I went on Google and stuff and found no solution. I also checked the forums and both Microsoft and Zune sites and could not solve my problem.

1. Can someone tell me if they have had this problem before
2. Can someone tell me why I can't download software from Microsoft. ( not even to "validate" it [it IS genuine by the way])

Any input that would help (besides saying something like "get an Ipod") would be greatly appreciated!

THANKS GUYS!!

8 gig
http://s7.sears.com/is/image/Sears/018W966512110001

EDIT: Or I guess I should of said could someone with a Zune upload the firmware.

my specs

_PJ_(Posted 2010) [#2]

I couldn't download the software from Microsoft because I can't seem to be able to download anything from there,

2. Can someone tell me why I can't download software from Microsoft. ( not even to "validate" it [it IS genuine by the way])

IF you are sure your internet settings are set to allow downloads from the site, and that you are allowing the activeX controls for that authentication stuff to work:

Ensure you have at least updated windows with Windows Update.

I would check your Services:

%SystemRoot%\system32\services.msc /s

look for one called Windows Management Instrumentation - Make sure it is enabled (Manual or Automatic) and STARTed.

Also do the same for:
BITS
Cryptographic Servics
DCom

I dont own a Zune or have any experience of one, so I wouldn;t know about the firmware upgrade, but at least, this should help with your windows authentication issue :)

Oiduts Studios(Posted 2010) [#3]
Thank you for the response, my mom went and took my PC to get fixed because I am going to Spain for a month in a few days. BUT my laptop has the same issue.

I can't seem to find the BITS service at all. (I am using Vista by the way)

_PJ_(Posted 2010) [#4]
It's "Background Intelligent Transport Service" or something similar, sorry.

I do not use Vista, but I'm 90% sure the services mentioned should be there for Vista.

It's possible the laptop has some OEM OS version maybe that might work a little differently for some things.
I hope that it gets sorted, though and your PC comes back fully working :)

JKP(Posted 2010) [#5]
What happens when you try to download from Microsoft's site? What browser are you using and have you tried a different one?

Oiduts Studios(Posted 2010) [#6]
It's "Background Intelligent Transport Service"

Oh lol, I should of got that, yes that is there but I really have no more time to get it working (The laptop), for now I am safe but I will have to come back to this problem again. Thank you for the help though, my main PC is fixed so I can load up my music on my Zune now.