Good C# Book

Community Forums/General Help/Good C# Book

Naughty Alien(Posted 2010) [#1]
..im looking for some very good Visual C# book (Im using VC# 2008), with in depth lessons about its OO structures, classes, garbage collector, etc..basically, something what will describe language syntax in to bits with proper examples, and that given examples are not exactly just 'Hello World' :) .. I dont mind book or online PDF files i can download/purchase, long as it really describing all aspects of OO with C# in nice way with some examples...any help is appreciated...

Basil(Posted 2010) [#2]
I don't know of a good one that does it all.

For a language introduction I always find Schildt books easy to understand and look-up info at a later time. All his books, for all languages, pretty much follow the same pattern with additions for language specific features. Other people seem to like Troelson, but it's always expensive and I've not used it.

For usage examples, I find C# Recipes (Jones, MacDonald) really useful. When I first read it, I was disappointed, but now use it a lot. Examples are theme based, eg file access, graphics, printing, data bases. There's a lot of stuff I don't use, too. You need a reasonable level of C# to follow some of the examples.

For Windows forms etc, I have Pro .Net 2.0 Windows Forms (MacDonald). Bit outdated now but VERY thorough on programming windows forms in VS. Couldn't do without it.

Hope this helps
Basil

_PJ_(Posted 2010) [#3]
I have used this site as a reference quite a lot.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/default.aspx

Many books that I am aware of are hideously outdated fast. (Even the site I linked to is now more and more becoming filled with VS 2010 stuff) Thjoguh, that's an inevitability, really.

Overall, whilst I prefer to have a nice physical reference "manual" in my hands, I find online sources much more practical to specific issues.

I an''t really provide specific eamples, aside from the above one, since I tend to rely on google searches as and when required, but my questions are always answered within a few clicks and a look at one or two forums...

Sorry, it's not truly specific to what you state you are after, and I know it's kinda "general tried & tested" obvious stuff that may not really help with learning "WHY" that happens or "WHAT IF I DID .... INSTEAD?" that is more useful when trying to learn than just get over a particular hurdle.