Realplayer in Ubuntu?

Community Forums/General Help/Realplayer in Ubuntu?

markcw(Posted 2010) [#1]
Has anyone successfully installed Realplayer in 32-bit Ubuntu with Firefox 3 recently?

If so please tell me how you did it because I've tried 2 or 3 times now and it just doesn't work.

nawi(Posted 2010) [#2]
Where do you need Realplayer? I thought VLC could play those files well.

markcw(Posted 2010) [#3]
Thanks nawi, VLC worked and I can play realvideo now. I didn't know VLC played real files, it says it supports them partially on the VLC site.

Funny thing Real player and Helix player just close down on me. Real closes when I open a file and Helix closes as soon as it runs. When I ran the Realplayer11GOLD.deb it reported I needed a later version of libasound2 >= 1.0.22 which is in lucid but I have jaunty. So I installed libasound2 and libasound2-dev 1.0.22 and now Realplayer11GOLD.deb is asking for libatk1.0-0 >= 1.29.3 so I gave up. I take it real player 11 only works in lucid.

andy_mc(Posted 2010) [#4]
real player is one of the most god aweful programs ever written, I can't decide whether I hate it more than Quicktime, they both suck.

And why on earth does apple keep using quicktime on it's site fo video? You can't even watch it in full screen!!!

/rant

Sorry, had to get that off my chest.

markcw(Posted 2010) [#5]
Your rant has been acknowledged and ignored. Thank you for your input. :)