Is inavailable RAM may cause crash ?

Community Forums/General Help/Is inavailable RAM may cause crash ?

Armitage 1982(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hi,

Lately, I ran a very few times into unexpected VIOLATION_EXCEPTION_ERROR.

Hard to catch, they never showed up in debug mode.

Except about errors, I identified 2 possible causes:

1)It's happening since I'm using ReadyBoost from Windows 7.

2)I'm using Windows 7 since a month only, and I noticed that 1Go of RAM is inefficient. The crash always happened while the hard disk was heavily requested and when my available free RAM was very low (between 0 and 12 only because I have many applications running at the same time and always when I'm switching from one to another in window mode).

I'm using Interpolated values as well as Box2D for physics. I know that temporary slowdown with those features can lead to unwanted behavior and instability.

Does anyone already encounter these problems before ?
The software only crash 3 times over 2 weeks and I try a stress test the last 2 nights without any crash.

GfK(Posted 2010) [#2]
You really should post things like this in one of the programming forums, as you haven't even said which language you're using.

_PJ_(Posted 2010) [#3]
Is your paging file active, and set to auto coontrol?

Armitage 1982(Posted 2010) [#4]
Yes my Paging file is active and set to auto control.

Right GfK!
I'm using BlitzMax.
The lockup never happened again but my computer Crash 3 times last night and I was only watching videos. I have systematic crash too with Might and Magic V

Climat is too hot for my old computer :s

Damned...

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#5]
Could very well be heat related, or it could be due to some of your PC components degrading.. (e.g. powersupplies become less efficient over time, if you don't have much extra capacity to account for that, over time it may not be able to supply enough power to keep your machine running stable. Could also be something like bad capacitors on the motherboard, which can lead to more and more frequent random crashes when they start happening.

Unfortunately a lot of those kind of problems can be very hard to troubleshoot since they appear so random.