iPed anyone?

Community Forums/General Help/iPed anyone?

Dodo(Posted 2010) [#1]
Its running Android ...

Doh, this post is on the wrong forum, its supposed to be in General Discussion .... just realised it now.

GfK(Posted 2010) [#2]
It won't be running it for long - cheap Chinese imitation made with crap components. I guarantee it'll stop working within weeks.

Seriously - China is as bad if not worse than Taiwan for making mass-produced junk.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2010) [#3]
note the fun 2 hour battery life.

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#4]
It won't be running it for long - cheap Chinese imitation made with crap components. I guarantee it'll stop working within weeks.
Compared to the real iPad made in China with crap components under conditions so bad the factory has the highest employee suicide rates in the world?

GfK(Posted 2010) [#5]
Ya, read about that this morning. Quite surprised to read that the Foxconn employees only get paid £90 per month.

But let's be fair as there are two sides to every story and I don't know how that £90 compares to the national average in China - Apple claims that the 'poor conditions' stretch to movie theatres, swimming pools, restaurants and beyond. That being the case it doesn't exactly sound like your typical sweat-shop.

Must admit - it did make me think twice about buying a Mac though. I still will - just had an attack of the old morals!

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#6]
GfK: My only point was almost everything everything is made in China nowadays. Tech-wise the knockoffs appear so quick in China because the plans usually sneak out the back door.

With the casings on some gadgets being so close, you would think even the extra molds are sneaking out the back door.

I can't remember the specifics, but a few years ago there was a story on one of the knockoffs and the investigation found that the knockoff was actually being made by a subsidiary of the company who manufactured the brand name device.

That being the case it doesn't exactly sound like your typical sweat-shop.
To me the worst is the company dorms that the employees have to pay for whether they live in them or not. Not unique to Apple though, as Wal-Mart and other major companies do the same things in China.

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#7]
I can't remember the specifics, but a few years ago there was a story on one of the knockoffs and the investigation found that the knockoff was actually being made by a subsidiary of the company who manufactured the brand name device

Sometimes it's not even a subsidiary: there's been quite a few cases of the outsources factory simply running another shift at night cranking out more devices that are sold directly by the outsourced factory, without the knowledge or permission of the rights owner. (the infamous "third shift" competition.

Or one of the weirdest cases was NEC a number of years ago, which found that some other company had started selling knock-offs under their brandname in Asia... but they had store fronts, factories, and even did their own R&D and started creating their own product lines, all without the knowledge of NEC itself... Only reason they found out is when they started getting large numbers of returns of broken devices with serial numbers that did not show up in their databases.

As far as Foxconn is concerned - This company is in an entire different realm than most people would expect. They produce pretty much *everything* these days. they manufacture components and products for Intel, Sony, Apple, and most of the other major companies. They apparently have over 400,000 people working for them.
Yes, they've had a recent rash of suicides, which definitely should be looked into... But keep in mind that with that many employees, you're always bound to have some, even if the company were paradise to work for. There's more people working there than live in most cities, after all!