Warning! RAID0/MoBo crash

Community Forums/General Help/Warning! RAID0/MoBo crash

CS_TBL(Posted 2010) [#1]
..because at least *I* didn't know!

Yesterday morning my music PC's motherboard gave up (a PC which lately also was my whatever-PC, including Blitz). So far so good, stuff can die and can be replaced. But at the shop they were rather worried about my RAID 0 set up, and only then I learned that unless I got an identical RAID chipset, I wouldn't be able to access my disks.. which are full of important stuff which (yes, hit me) aren't really backed up that often.

Out of sheer luck, my new motherboard (with some new stuff connected to it :) has a comparable RAID chipset, so it's all ok! But this was nothing less than a lucky shot. But blergh, reinstalling stuff.. ._.

So, new system is a dual-core i5-670, 3.46Ghz, 4 threads, 4MB cache. 4GB RAM, 2x 640GB Caviar 7200rpm drives, RAID0 again. Will update my profile later.. :P

Dreamora(Posted 2010) [#2]
You have somethign that speaks against itself there I fear.

"important data" and RAID0 in the same sentence makes no sense, because nobody would put important data on a harddisk set that has a 3 times as high chance to fail than a normal harddisk would have

if you want higher performance and call the data on there "important" you should consider upgrading to raid5 / raid6 / raid 10

Shortwind(Posted 2010) [#3]
CS_TBL: Hey, not a gripe or complaint, but why are you using RAID at all? Could you explain your thinking on using a RAID 0 configuration? Just curious because the way I see it, you'd be better off having a normal two drive configuration, where you only use one drive as a mirror backup of the other. You could write a backup program (or use one already created) that copied the exact image of the main drive to the backup drive like once a week. You'd then always have a pretty current and usefull backup of your "imporant" data. Then if one drive fails it a simple matter of swapping in a new one and reboot.

D:

TaskMaster(Posted 2010) [#4]
RAID 0 can be fast, but you absolutely must backup your data if you use it, or store data you do not need on it.

A lot of people have the idea that RAID 1 or RAID 5 is a backup. RAID is NEVER a backup. The purpose of RAID is minimize downtime. It should NEVER be a substitute for a proper backup.

Even copying one drive to another in the same machine should not be considered a backup. That is not much different than RAID 1. If your power supply fails and takes out both your hard disks, you are screwed.

CS_TBL(Posted 2010) [#5]
Shortwind: speed. For music, I stream samples, lots of 'em. The computershop manager told me he builds a lot of systems for audio/video editors, all have a RAID0 setup.

At some point in time I'll probably move to SSD, but considering the amount of samples I need to stream, it's just a tad too expensive at the moment. 32GB disks aren't enough and those which are big enough are worth more than pure gold I think.