a simple C# program with report function

Community Forums/General Help/a simple C# program with report function

Happy Sammy(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hi all,

If I want to write a C# program for storing book data so that it could print out the booklist,
should I just use free C# express 2010 and buy crystal report 2010?
Or should I buy C# professional version?

http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products/2010-editions/professional
http://store.businessobjects.com/store/bobjamer/DisplayProductDetailsPage/productID=101182800/pgm.43924300?resid=S7Px6woHAkIAAC6RRNUAAAAo&rests=1274958829526

Thanks in advance

ziggy(Posted 2010) [#2]
You can do this using only C# express edition. No need to buy anything. Then, if you want a pre-made report printing framework (wich you don't need just to print out some data) you can get any of the available .net components for this task, being Crystal reports one of the most popular ones, but I would not recommend it for simple tasks, as .net has an internal printing framework that lets you send images and text and vector graphics and gradients and anything directly to the printer driver or to a print-preview dialog. It's damn easy an it's free and let's you make the design you really want for the outputed data. Additionally, doing it this way, will make it mono compatible mostly 'out of the box'.

Happy Sammy(Posted 2010) [#3]
Thanks, ziggy.

However, I need to run the program on a netbook. Does C# need .net framework to access database?
(I once installed .net framework on the netbook and all programs run slower than before)

ziggy(Posted 2010) [#4]
I once installed .net framework on the netbook and all programs run slower than before
This has non sense. I mean, if that happened to you, it was not related to .net being installed, as it is a set of libraries that are only used when a .net app is being run. also, it is native on Win7 and Vista, so you don't even have to install it if the netbook is new.
The .net does not need the framework to access the database, it need the framework even to start the compiled application. If you're targeting .net 3.5, it should run out of the box on vista and win7. In the other hand, you'll need the specific ado driver for the database engine you may be using. If it is, as instance, mysql, you'll need the .net driver for a mysql database. And so on.

Happy Sammy(Posted 2010) [#5]
Thanks.
My netbook has xp home installed.