Changing the refresh rate (75,85,115,120 hz).

Community Forums/General Help/Changing the refresh rate (75,85,115,120 hz).

Yukio(Posted 2010) [#1]
What could happening if someone is playing a game using a differrent refresh rate? Would the game be speed-up?

Shooter games, can someone play the game in 120 hz? Will the scroll be twice as fast !?

In the opposite way, if someone play a game using 50 hz . Will the game possess some slowdown? Can someone broke a Television set or a dedicated Monitor using a wrong frequency rate?

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#2]
Depends on the game.

Properly written games have a logic refresh rate that's seperate from the display refreshrate, so slower or faster screen redraws don't interfere with the 'speed' of the game.

Poorly written games would speed up if they run with a different refreshrate than expected. If you let the user pick a resoltion with various refreshrates, you really need to take that into consideration.

Look up 'delta time'

Yukio(Posted 2010) [#3]
Do you know if a game running into windowed mode is playing at the correct refresh rate of the display?

I was watching the ads of newer *LED* televisions and monitors, some of them could work at 120 hz . This is even more than old CRT tubes that could do 115 hz (very good for FPS games).

Is there a option to set the refresh rate of a screen resolution?

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#4]
Yes, there is -- except if you're in windowed mode, this parameter will be ignored and it uses the desktop refresh rate instead.

Just be careful, since *most* LCD's only work at 60Hz. Some of the slightly higher end ones go higher, but I don't think I've seen any that will go above 75Hz... As far as those 120Hz TVs: Even if the screen itself can refresh at that speed, they may not accept *input* at that speed.

Since it's a digital signal, there is only so many bytes/sec that can be sent over a DVI/HMDI link, and at HD resolution 120Hz may very well exceed that. A TV can take a 60Hz input and do automagic frame-doubling to display 120Hz discrete images, and still market themselves as 120Hz after all.

_PJ_(Posted 2010) [#5]
Chances are these days, a lot of graphics cards come with software that prevents/limits the display ettings to the monitor's capabilities.
In the event that an out of range setting for resolution/refresh rate is used, the monitor itself will often display an error menu as safety so iot isnt 'broken'.

Yukio(Posted 2010) [#6]
Just be careful, since *most* LCD's only work at 60Hz. Some of the slightly higher end ones go higher, but I don't think I've seen any that will go above 75Hz... As far as those 120Hz TVs: Even if the screen itself can refresh at that speed, they may not accept *input* at that speed.

Yes, I think this is correct. Since most microcomputers (HD Laptops and Notebooks) only accept 60Hz refresh rate.

There is also some problem with 8-bit colours too ... I believe that modern Windows systems do not possess this video mode anymore!

Since it's a digital signal, there is only so many bytes/sec that can be sent over a DVI/HMDI link, and at HD resolution 120Hz may very well exceed that. A TV can take a 60Hz input and do automagic frame-doubling to display 120Hz discrete images, and still market themselves as 120Hz after all.

Sure, but HD display also could use standard 1024 x 768. This resolution could use 120 Hz without problem. The only restriction is that the Television set would need to be able the correct handle the signal at full refresh rate.

Canardian(Posted 2010) [#7]
LCDs don't have any refresh rate. Most of them tell to the OS and software that they have 60Hz, because many programs would go nuts if they receive the true refresh rate: n/a.

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#8]
They don't have an electronic beam sweeping across the screen like an old-fashioned CRT does, but they do have a refreshrate in that it will only update/change the screen with new information at certain intervals (typically 60 times a second)