5.1 surround sound

Community Forums/General Help/5.1 surround sound

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hey guys. I'm looking for a cheapish 5.1 surround sound option. Things it needs to have:

Optical in

That's about it tbh. I'm having a real problem getting any results, or finding recommendations. The only one i've come across is the logitech z-5500, but the cheapest i can find is used and at £229. The reason for the optical in is so i can play my PS3 games in true 5.1.

Other things i've found are options that let you plug an HDMI cable in the back and take the sound from that, but they only output, visually, in component cables, which is useless as i lose the HD visuals...

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? If need be, i'll save up and buy the logitech option.

Brucey(Posted 2010) [#2]
I got an A30 headset from Astro Gaming. Optical 5.1 with microphone, and works great with my PS3.
Speech and game audio can be mixed differently if you need to hear your teammates better.
3D works extremely well.

Not so "cheapish", but you get what you pay for...

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#3]
Thanks for the suggestion, but i'm more after a speaker based system, like the home cinema setup, so i can also watch my dvd's with my gf :). This looks like a pair of headphones.

Brucey(Posted 2010) [#4]
Yep... I decided, since I'd be playing more games than watching movies, the headphones wouldn't be so annoying for everyone else...

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#5]
True true. Been looking at them. They actually look verrrry cool. Maybe Lauren won't want to watch DVD's anymore... :D

kenshin(Posted 2010) [#6]
logitech z5500 is a gutsy set. You wouldn't regret it, and they aren't that expensive when compared to other options with similar features and output.

I wouldn't buy them 2nd hand though. You might end up with a set that has been thrashed and a sub that rattles. Then what? You saved maybe 25%, have no warranty, and no means of recourse.