How to bypass a BIOS password

Community Forums/General Help/How to bypass a BIOS password

GfK(Posted 2010) [#1]
I'm in the process of rebuilding my old P3-733 system for testing purposes but I've hit a problem.

When I start the system, even before the POST screen I get a prompt; "Enter CURRENT password:"

I've tried:

1. Every 'backdoor' password I can find on the web
2. Leaving the password blank, a SPACE, admin, password etc... all the obvious stuff
3. Resetting CMOS via jumper switch
4. Resetting CMOS via 15 min battery removal

No matter what I do its still asking me for a password and no amount of CMOS resets seems to make it go away. I have never put a password on this system!

The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-6VMM. Its crapness is not up for discussion - I know its crap thats why I want to test on it. I just need to get rid of this password.

Ideas?

GfK(Posted 2010) [#2]
Aw, christ! Flaming typical! If there's one sure fire way for a solution to present itself, post about it on a forum!

There was a power-on splash screen showing "www.rm.com". So I tried "rm".

Worked!

*(Posted 2010) [#3]
ROFL isnt that always the way ;)

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2010) [#4]
Lol, what a secure password!!!

GfK(Posted 2010) [#5]
It was my fault, really. I nicked the CMOS battery the other day for my car's remote central locking. If I hadn't done that then the thing wouldn't have reset itself due to me swiping the battery.

D4NM4N(Posted 2010) [#6]
I did not know RM was still going. They were the ones that made that Nimbus for schools back in the day.

GfK(Posted 2010) [#7]
They probably aren't. The motherboard is ancient.