Space Invaders

Community Forums/General Help/Space Invaders

CGV(Posted 2010) [#1]
In the original Space Invaders was it the bottom-most alien in each column that fired at you or did the whole armada fire?

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#2]
There are a tonne of clones out there...

google "original space invaders"

I'm freakishly firewall filtered otherwise I'd find one for ya

andy_mc(Posted 2010) [#3]
I think it was any of them.
if you want any help, check out my space invaders tutorial videos on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/amcadam26

CGV(Posted 2010) [#4]
I found a good clone of the original and it looks like only the bottom-most alien fires.

HTML5 canvas Space Invaders clone - non playable.

Thanks.

_PJ_(Posted 2010) [#5]
On the playstation 2 Taito Legends compilation it features the original Space Invaders as a direct conversion/emulation from the arcade machine. All the aliens are capable of firing and do so.
Also when you have less aliens left after shooting down a few, the remaining ones will each fire a lot more frequently.

CGV(Posted 2010) [#6]
So the aliens in the higher rows actually fire through the aliens beneath them?

I've seen that in a lot of clones but always attributed it to programmer laziness.

I personally think it looks much better if only the bottommost alien in each column fires.

Yan(Posted 2010) [#7]
It's definitely only the lowest alien in each column that fires in the original version.

Here's a flash emulation and here's a JScript/HTML5 version [edit]Which you've already seen, it appears?[/edit]

Sledge(Posted 2010) [#8]
This site suggests things are a little more complex:
Any missiles dropped by an invader on the row above 'invasion' row will not harm the player's laser. This is a very important feature and one that must be fully exploited in order to obtain a high score. This will be dealt with in detail later.

There's a set of tutorials for writing an emulator in BlitzMax using the original ROMs knocking around so, y'know... :)

EDIT:
It's definitely only the lowest alien in each column that fires in the original version.
Yeah, looking at the emu you linked, defo -- I think the weird stuff on the page I linked is specifically about the "Wall Of Death".